Integral of e^(t + t^2 + t^3 + t^4 + t^5 + t^6 + t^7)

  • Thread starter Thread starter hofer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
hofer
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


After some work, I have come across an integral, and I have no idea how to develop it.

Homework Equations


The integral is: [tex]\int_{0}^{1}{e^{(at + bt^2 + ct^3 + dt^4 + et^5 + ft^6 + gt^7)}dt}[/tex]
a, b, c, d, e, f, g are real constants.

The Attempt at a Solution


A friend told me to look into the gaussian error function, but I don't think it applies here. A wikipedia entry about Higher-order polynomials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral#Higher-order_polynomials) says that it could be integrated using series, but only if the integration interval is between [tex]-\infty[/tex] and [tex]\infty[/tex].

Any help or clues about integrating it? Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be able to integrate this one like you do with easier functions from textbooks.
 
Go for a numerical solution. A package like Maple of Mathematica can do it without any problem.
 
Ok, thanks.
I will use gaussian quadrature of Mathematica.
 
It is equal to the following derivatives:

[tex] \exp\left(b \frac{d^2}{d a^{2}} + c \, \frac{d^{3}}{d a^{3}} + d \, \frac{d^{4}}{d a^{4}} + e \, \frac{d^{5}}{d a^{5}} + f \, \frac{d^{6}}{d a^{6}} + g \, \frac{d^{7}}{d a^{7}} \right) \, \frac{\exp(a) - 1}{a}[/tex]
 
I'm not sure if the multinomial theorem could successfully represent the value of this integral so I'll propose it only as a possibility:

[tex] \begin{align*}<br /> \int_0^1 \exp(at+bt^2+ct^3+dt^4+et^5+ft^6+gt^7)dt&=<br /> \int_0^1 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(at+bt^2+ct^3+dt^4+et^5+ft^6+gt^7)^n}{n!}\\<br /> &=\int_0^1 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\sum_{k_1,k_2\cdots,k_7}\binom{n}{k_1,k_2,\cdots,k_7} (at)^{k_1}(bt^2)^{k_2}\cdots (gt^7)^{k_7} dt \\<br /> &=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k_1,k_2,\cdots,k_7}\binom{n}{k_1,k_2,\cdots,k_7}\frac{a^{k_1}b^{2k_2}\cdots g^{7k_7}}{k_1+2k_2+\cdots 7k_7+1}<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]
 
Last edited: