Solving Definite Integral: x∫sqrt(5 + t^3) - e^t^2 dt

In summary: So \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_0^x f(t)\,dt=\frac{d}{dx}(F(x)-F(0))=f(x)\ .The "Leibniz Rule" is a generalization of this to the case where the "upper limit" is not x but some other function of x.
johnhuntsman
Doing corrections on a test and I'm trying to solve this integral and I'm having quite a bit of trouble with it:

__x
Dx∫sqrt(5 + t^3) - e^t^2 dt
__0

I tried solving it by breaking it up into two integrals:

x________________x
∫sqrt(5 + t^3) dt - ∫e^t^2 dt
0________________0

Then I tried using integration by parts, but that gets me things like du / 3t2 = dt, and dv / 2t = dt. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
johnhuntsman said:
Doing corrections on a test and I'm trying to solve this integral and I'm having quite a bit of trouble with it:

__x
Dx∫sqrt(5 + t^3) - e^t^2 dt
__0

I tried solving it by breaking it up into two integrals:

x________________x
∫sqrt(5 + t^3) dt - ∫e^t^2 dt
0________________0

Then I tried using integration by parts, but that gets me things like du / 3t2 = dt, and dv / 2t = dt. What do I do?

You don't want to do the antidifferentiation. In fact, you can't, which is why you are having trouble. Differentiate the integral as a function of its upper limit using Leibnitz rule.

Is the Dx in front the derivative operator? If so you need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve this.

LCKurtz said:
You don't want to do the antidifferentiation. In fact, you can't, which is why you are having trouble. Differentiate the integral as a function of its upper limit using Leibnitz rule.

Im only in Calculus II and I've never heard of such a thing. I did some Googling and I definitely don't know what that is.

[Edit]Liebniz Rule isn't even mentioned in my textbook, and I'm almost certain it wasn't covered in class. Are you certain?[Edit]

Leibniz rule is just a generalization of the fundamental theorem of Calculus. It's useful to know, even if it isn't covered in your book. Anyway, as everyone has pointed out FToC is what you need here. Whenever you see one variable in the limit of integration and a different one within the integral, your mind should jump to this. Also if you ever see e^t^2, you should know that you cannot integrate this, and if you are being asked to solve it, there must be some 'trick' to it.

Alright then thanks. I guess I'ma watch some YouTube and go in for tutoring. No need to ask for a lesson here. I appreciate being pointed in the right direction : D Gracias.

johnhuntsman said:
Im only in Calculus II and I've never heard of such a thing. I did some Googling and I definitely don't know what that is.

[Edit]Liebniz Rule isn't even mentioned in my textbook, and I'm almost certain it wasn't covered in class. Are you certain?[Edit]

That is odd. When I looked up 'Leibnitz Rule' in Google I got hundreds of hits.

I would be willing to bet it WAS covered in class (although maybe not called that), because it is the very basis of doing integrals as "antiderivatives". It is absolutely fundamental, and any Calculus course worthy of the name will definitely cover it to some extent.

RGV

johnhuntsman said:
I'm only in Calculus II and I've never heard of such a thing. I did some Googling and I definitely don't know what that is.

I like to remember this as follows:

Let F(x) be the anti-derivative of f(x).

Then [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^x f(t)\,dt=F(x)-F(0)\ .[/itex]

What is the derivative, with respect to x, of F(x) - F(0) ?

It's given by [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(F(x)-F(0))=F'(x)-0=f(x)\ .[/itex]

Related to Solving Definite Integral: x∫sqrt(5 + t^3) - e^t^2 dt

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function within a specific interval or range of values.

2. What is the process of solving a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you must first identify the limits of integration (the starting and ending values of the interval). Then, you can use various mathematical techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution, to simplify the integrand (the expression inside the integral symbol). Finally, you can evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus or by using a calculator or software.

3. How do I solve a definite integral with a square root?

In this particular integral, the square root can be rewritten as a fractional exponent, so you can use the power rule to simplify the integrand. Alternatively, you can also use integration by parts by letting u = sqrt(5 + t^3) and dv = dt.

4. What is the significance of the "e" in the integrand?

The "e" in the integrand represents the mathematical constant known as Euler's number. It is approximately equal to 2.71828 and is commonly used in many mathematical and scientific equations, including those involving growth and decay.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this definite integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator or software to solve this definite integral. However, it is also important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques used in solving integrals to ensure accuracy and proper understanding of the problem.