How can the integral of exp (-1/x) be solved?

• Thread starter jjmac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, a new member of the site is asking for help with solving the integral of exp (-1/x). Another member points out that this is not an easy integral and asks for more context and information about the asker's knowledge of integrals. It is then mentioned that the integral can be written in terms of the exponential integral.
jjmac
Hi to everyone,

I am new in this site ( I hope this is the right place to ask my question).

Does anyone know how to solve the integral of: exp (-1/x)

I know that integral of exp(-x) = -exp(-x)+C but I have been trying to solve this for a while and I can not get the aswer.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that integral from? It's not a particularly easy one. Can you give us some context, perhaps also what you know about integrals?

1. What is the integral of exp (-1/x)?

The integral of exp (-1/x) is a special function known as the Exponential Integral. It is defined as the integral from 0 to x of the function exp (-1/t) dt.

2. How do you solve the integral of exp (-1/x)?

To solve the integral of exp (-1/x), you can use integration by parts or u-substitution. The resulting integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions and must be evaluated using numerical methods.

3. What is the domain of the integral of exp (-1/x)?

The domain of the integral of exp (-1/x) is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0. This means that the integral is defined for all positive values of x.

4. What is the importance of the integral of exp (-1/x)?

The integral of exp (-1/x) is important in various fields of science and engineering, particularly in statistics and probability. It is also used in the study of complex analysis and has applications in the evaluation of certain integrals and series.

5. Can the integral of exp (-1/x) be simplified?

No, the integral of exp (-1/x) cannot be simplified into a closed form expression. It can only be evaluated numerically using specialized software or approximated using different methods.