1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral of f times cosine, as period of cosine goes to zero.

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is as follows:

Let f be a real valued function that is Riemann integrable on [a,b]. Show that

[tex]

\lim_{\lambda \rightarrow \infty} \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\cos(\lambda x)dx = 0

[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    I am freely able to use the fact that the product of Riemann integrable functions is Riemann integrable, and that the integral of cosine is sine (+ constant).

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first thing I tried was just to let f be the indicator function on the interval [a,b]. In that case, it wasn't so bad because then I could find [itex] \lambda > 0[/itex] so large that (for given epsilon > 0) [itex] \frac{1}{\lambda} < \frac{1}{2}\epsilon [/itex].

Then for that lambda I can find a unique integer k such that
    [tex]
    \frac{2\pi k}{\lambda} \leq (b-a) < \frac{2\pi (k + 1)}{\lambda}
    [/tex].

Then
    [tex]
    |\int_{a}^{b} \cos(\lambda x)dx| =

|\int_{a}^{a + \frac{2 \pi k}{\lambda}} \cos(\lambda x) \,dx +

\int_{a + \frac{2\pi k}{\lambda} }^{b} \cos(\lambda x)\,dx|

= |\frac{\sin(b)}{\lambda} - \frac{\sin(a)}{\lambda}|
    [/tex]

Finally,
    [tex]
    |\frac{\sin(b)}{\lambda} - \frac{\sin(a)}{\lambda}| \leq \frac{2}{\lambda} < \epsilon.
    [/tex]

From there on it is clear that for [itex] \lambda^{'} > \lambda > 0 [/itex], we are still less than epsilon. (Find a new unique integer as above, and run through the integrals again).

I've been trying to think of a way to apply this fact to the case with general [itex] f [/itex]. What I've tried to do is trap
    [tex]
    \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\cos(\lambda x)dx
    [/tex]
    between plus/minus some constant times [itex] \int_{a}^{b} \cos(\lambda x)dx [/itex], where the constant might be something like the max of the absolute values of the supremum and infemum of f over the interval [a,b], but I cant get it work out (problems arise with negatives multiplying to become positive, etc...). Any hints or comments would be very helpful, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think a bigger concern should be why f(x) is bounded on that interval (it doesn't have to be)

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3
    Indeed I can think a few unbounded functions f which are integrable on an interval [a,b], so I can see why my idea would certainly fail. I'll try looking at this from a new perspective and see what I get. What I understand to be happening is that the rapidly quickening oscillations of cosine are going to force f to "cancel itself out" in the integral, eventually bringing that sucker close to zero...

Thanks, I'll give this more thought.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook