İntegral of Rational Function

In summary: I can solve it easilyIn summary, the conversation discusses the integration of ##\frac {dx}{(x^2-1)^2}## using the method of partial fractions. The attempt at a solution includes dividing ##\frac {1} {(x^2-1)^2}## into two fractions, but the process becomes complex and it is unclear how to proceed. Other suggestions such as using a single label for a polynomial and trig substitution are mentioned, but it is not clear if these will lead to a simpler solution. The conversation concludes with the realization that there may not be a straightforward solution to the problem and that it may require considerable work and multiple methods to solve.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##∫\frac {dx}{(x^2-1)^2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to divide ##\frac {1} {(x^2-1)^2}## as ##\frac {Ax+B} {(x^2-1)} +\frac {Cx^3+Dx^2+Ex+F} {(x^2-1)^2}##

but this looks so complex..I don't know how to do ? Maybe I can just left at simpler terms.But how can I decide it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:

Homework Statement

##∫\frac {dx}{(x^2-1)^2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to divide ##\frac {1} {(x^2-1)^2}## as ##\frac {Ax+B} {(x^2-1)} +\frac {Cx^3+Dx^2+Ex+F} {(x^2-1)^2}##

but this looks so complex..I don't know how to do ? Maybe I can just left at simpler terms.But how can I decide it ?

One trick is to just use a single label for a polynomial:

##\frac {1} {(x^2-1)^2} = \frac {A(x)} {(x^2-1)} +\frac {B(x)} {(x^2-1)^2}##

And see what that leads to.

Is this specifically meant to be done by partial fractions? I would try a trig substitution first. Didn't do it so I don't know what happens.

PeroK said:
One trick is to just use a single label for a polynomial:

##\frac {1} {(x^2-1)^2} = \frac {A(x)} {(x^2-1)} +\frac {B(x)} {(x^2-1)^2}##

And see what that leads to.

Doesn't it lead to ##A(x) =0## and ##B(x) =1?##

However, the OP could certainly get
$$\frac{1}{x^2-1} = \frac{A}{x-1} + \frac{B}{x+1},$$
and thus get
$$\frac{1}{(x^2-1)^2} = \frac{A^2}{(x-1)^2}+ \frac{2 A B}{(x-1)(x+1)} + \frac{B^2}{(x+1)^2}, $$
then do something with that.

If the integral is meant to be evaluated using partial fractions, I would decompose the integrand like this:
##\frac 1 {(x^2-1)^2} = \frac 1 {(x - 1)^2(x + 1)^2} = \frac A {x - 1} +\frac B {(x - 1)^2}+ \frac C {x + 1} + \frac D {(x + 1)^2} ##

Likes PeroK
Ray Vickson said:

There is another solution!

PeroK said:
There is another solution!

I get ##A(x)=0##
##B(x)-2A(x)=0##
##A(x)-B(x)=1##
whats the other solution ?

Mark44 said:
If the integral is meant to be evaluated using partial fractions, I would decompose the integrand like this:
##\frac 1 {(x^2-1)^2} = \frac 1 {(x - 1)^2(x + 1)^2} = \frac A {x - 1} +\frac B {(x - 1)^2}+ \frac C {x + 1} + \frac D {(x + 1)^2} ##
Is it make things easier ? (I am not sure..)
Ray Vickson said:

However, the OP could certainly get
$$\frac{1}{x^2-1} = \frac{A}{x-1} + \frac{B}{x+1},$$
and thus get
$$\frac{1}{(x^2-1)^2} = \frac{A^2}{(x-1)^2}+ \frac{2 A B}{(x-1)(x+1)} + \frac{B^2}{(x+1)^2}, $$
then do something with that.

can lead us yes but too long...

Arman777 said:
I get ##A(x)=0##
##B(x)-2A(x)=0##
##A(x)-B(x)=1##
whats the other solution ?

The other solution is fairly obvious, but it doesn't lead to a great improvement. You shouldn't have been so hasty to dismiss @Mark44's suggestion. I think your definition of what is "too complicated" is no longer appropriate for the level of mathematics you are dealing with. You shouldn't be baulking at only four coefficients.

PeroK said:
The other solution is fairly obvious, but it doesn't lead to a great improvement. You shouldn't have been so hasty to dismiss @Mark44's suggestion. I think your definition of what is "too complicated" is no longer appropriate for the level of mathematics you are dealing with. You shouldn't be baulking at only four coefficients.

Its not too hard to find a b c d but after that.We will left another ##(x-1)^2## and ##(x+1)^2## so I have to do all stuff again..Fine I ll try

Arman777 said:
I get ##A(x)=0##
##B(x)-2A(x)=0##
##A(x)-B(x)=1##
whats the other solution ?Is it make things easier ? (I am not sure..)can lead us yes but too long...

Not too long at all. Sometimes things need considerable work, and there is no way to avoid doing it. Sometimes there are just no shortcuts.

The answer is ##\frac {1} {4} ln (\frac {x+1} {x-1}) - \frac{x} {2(x^2-1)}+C##

I ll find soon

Ray Vickson said:
Not too long at all. Sometimes things need considerable work, and there is no way to avoid doing it. Sometimes there are just no shortcuts.
yeah I know..But they shouldn't made such long questions

Ray Vickson said:

Arman777 said:
Real life isn't always about short questions.

You never told us whether you had to use a specific technique (such as by using partial fraction decomposition). Another approach that was already mentioned was trig substitution.

Mark44 said:
Real life isn't always about short questions.

You never told us whether you had to use a specific technique (such as by using partial fraction decomposition). Another approach that was already mentioned was trig substitution.
You are right.The question is in the partial fraction section

Arman777 said:

"Nature laughs at the difficulties of integration." - Laplace

Likes Arman777
I tried every method that we thought but nothing came up

Arman777 said:
I tried every method that we thought but nothing came up

What partial fraction representation are you trying to use? Which parts yield "nothing"?

Ray Vickson said:
What partial fraction representation are you trying to use? Which parts yield "nothing"?

Its too long to write down here :/.I can take photo maybe..Or I ll ask just my prof more simple

1. What is the definition of the integral of a rational function?

The integral of a rational function is the inverse operation of differentiation. It represents the area under the curve of the rational function. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and can be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a rational function?

To find the antiderivative of a rational function, you can use the method of partial fractions or the substitution method. The partial fractions method involves breaking down the rational function into simpler fractions and then finding the antiderivative of each individual fraction. The substitution method involves substituting a variable with a new expression to simplify the integral and then integrating the resulting expression.

3. What is the purpose of finding the integral of a rational function?

The purpose of finding the integral of a rational function is to evaluate the area under the curve of the function. This is useful in real-world applications such as calculating the total distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity, or finding the total amount of a substance in a chemical reaction with a changing rate.

4. Can all rational functions be integrated?

No, not all rational functions can be integrated. Some rational functions have integrals that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. These integrals are known as improper integrals and require more advanced techniques, such as the use of infinite series, to evaluate.

5. How is the integral of a rational function related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the integral of a function f(x) is equal to the difference between the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration. This theorem also applies to rational functions, as the integral of a rational function can be evaluated using its antiderivative. This relationship allows for the efficient calculation of integrals of rational functions.