How Do You Integrate sin^2(t)cos^4(t) from 0 to Pi?

• Thread starter skyturnred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
I can't get it to workIn summary, the question is to evaluate the integral \int^{0}_{pi}(sin^{2}t)*(cos^{4}t) using trig identities, but the person is having trouble finding the correct approach. Suggestions have been made to use double angle identities and the identity cos^2(t)=1-sin^2(t), but the person is still struggling with finding a solution.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{0}_{pi}(sin^{2}t)*(cos^{4}t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to use trig identities.. but everything I try does not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limits of the integral should be reversed.

skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{0}_{pi}(sin^{2}t)*(cos^{4}t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

You can do it with double angle identities. But you haven't shown anything you've tried yet. What did it occur to you to try?

skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi}(\sin^{2}t)*(\cos^{4}t)[/itex] dt

Homework Equations

[itex]2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)=\sin(2\theta)[/itex]

So, sin2(θ)cos2(θ) =   ?  

[itex]2\cos^2(\theta)-1=\cos(2\theta)[/itex]

So, cos2(θ) =   ?  

cos^2(t)=1-sin^2(t), then you use the double cos identity until you reduce it down to combination of cos(2t)'s,

Last edited:

FAQ: How Do You Integrate sin^2(t)cos^4(t) from 0 to Pi?

1. What is the formula for the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t?

The formula for the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t is ∫sin^2t*cos^4t dt = (1/8)t - (1/16)sin(4t) + (1/48)sin(6t) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t?

To solve the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t, you can use the trigonometric identity sin^2t = (1-cos2t)/2 and cos^4t = (1+cos2t)^2/8. Then, you can use the formula for integration by parts to solve the integral.

3. Can the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t be simplified?

Yes, the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t can be simplified by using the trigonometric identities sin^2t = (1-cos2t)/2 and cos^4t = (1+cos2t)^2/8. After simplifying, you can use the formula for integration by parts to solve the integral.

4. What is the domain and range of the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t?

The domain of the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t is all real numbers, while the range depends on the limits of integration given in the problem. The range will be a finite number if the limits of integration are finite, and it will be an infinite number if the limits of integration are infinite.

5. How is the integral of sin^2t*cos^4t used in real-life applications?

The integral of sin^2t*cos^4t is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving periodic motion and oscillations. It is also used in signal processing and electronics to analyze and design circuits.