Integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) dx from 0 to 2pi.

In summary, the integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) from 0 to 2pi is equal to 0. To solve this integral, one can use the product-to-sum formula for sine and the substitution method. The limits 0 to 2pi represent the interval over which the integral is being evaluated, which is the entire period of the sine function. This integral can also be solved using trigonometric identities, such as the double angle formula for sine. The physical interpretation of this integral varies depending on the context, but it can represent the average value of a sine wave or the area under the curve of a damped harmonic oscillator with a frequency of 1 Hz.
s3a

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Integration by parts: Integral u dv = uv – Integral v du

The Attempt at a Solution

My work has been attached as MyWork.jpg. I, basically, get 0 * integral_I_started_with = something_else instead of nonzero_constant * integral_I_started_with = something_else and, given that I've done this problem a multitude of times and failed (if I remember correctly, always with the same issue) and, I was hoping someone here could point out my mistake.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3,869
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

My work has been attached as MyWork.jpg. I, basically, get 0 * integral_I_started_with = something_else instead of nonzero_constant * integral_I_started_with = something_else and, given that I've done this problem a multitude of times and failed (if I remember correctly, always with the same issue) and, I was hoping someone here could point out my mistake.

Try a different approach. There's a trig formula that will let you express sin(A)sin(B) as a sum of simple trig functions. Can you find it?

s3a said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

That image is difficult to read and in any case you didn't put in the limits. But integration by parts isn't what you want to do anyway. Use the formula$$
\sin a \sin b =\frac 1 2 (\cos(a-b)-\cos(a+b))$$

Your double integration by parts yielded
[tex]\int \sin(x)\sin(x+1)dx = -\sin(x+1)\cos(x) + \cos(x+1)\sin(x) + \int \sin(x)\sin(x+1)dx[/tex]
(This is the line just before the line that is colored red.) Subtract the integral from both sides and you get
[tex]0 = -\sin(x+1)\cos(x) + \cos(x+1)\sin(x)[/tex]
One may rightfully ask, what gives?

Look at the right hand side, ##-\sin(x+1)\cos(x) + \cos(x+1)\sin(x)##. This is ##\sin(x-(x+1))##, or ##\sin(1)##. So now we have the even more nonsensical ##\sin(1)=0##, which obviously is not true.

What happened is that you dropped a constant of integration. That supposedly nonsensical ##\sin(1)=0## is better stated as ##\sin(1) = c##. Instead of reaching a contradiction you've reached a tautology.

Bottom line: That's Just one of those things you need to be aware of when you do integration by parts.

Here's a hint that will help you solve this integral: Use the trick that x-x=0.
With this, cos(a) = cos(a+x-x) = cos((a+x)-x) = cos(a+x)cos(x) + sin(a+x)sin(x).
Now substitute a=1.

Thanks, guys!

An alternative approach.
Let
$$I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sin(x)\cdot\sin(x+1)dx $$

The integral is equivalent to
$$I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sin(2\pi-x)\cdot \sin(2\pi-(x-1))dx=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)\cdot\sin(x-1)dx$$

Add the two expressions to get,
$$2I=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)(\sin(x+1)+\sin(x-1))dx$$
Use ##\sin(A)+\sin(B)=2\sin((A+B)/2)\cos((A-B)/2)## to obtain,
$$2I=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)(2\sin(x)\cos(1))dx \Rightarrow I=\cos(1)\int_0^{2\pi} \sin^2x dx$$

From the formula, ##\cos(2x)=1-2\sin^2x##, the integral can be easily evaluated.

I hope that helped.

Pranav-Arora said:
An alternative approach.
Let
$$I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sin(x)\cdot\sin(x+1)dx $$

The integral is equivalent to
$$I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sin(2\pi-x)\cdot \sin(2\pi-(x-1))dx=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)\cdot\sin(x-1)dx$$

Add the two expressions to get,
$$2I=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)(\sin(x+1)+\sin(x-1))dx$$
Use ##\sin(A)+\sin(B)=2\sin((A+B)/2)\cos((A-B)/2)## to obtain,
$$2I=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)(2\sin(x)\cos(1))dx \Rightarrow I=\cos(1)\int_0^{2\pi} \sin^2x dx$$

From the formula, ##\cos(2x)=1-2\sin^2x##, the integral can be easily evaluated.

I hope that helped.

This problem could have been solved with much more ease, if you multiply the integral and divide by 2 and then isolate 1/2 out. Then apply formula 2sinAsinB=cos(A-B)-cos(A+B).

I know its too late to post here though.

Edit: Excellent hint given by LC Kurtz and Dick.

1. What is the integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) from 0 to 2pi?

The integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) from 0 to 2pi is equal to 0.

2. How do you solve the integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) dx?

To solve the integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) dx, you can use the product-to-sum formula for sine, which is sin(a)sin(b) = (1/2)[cos(a-b) - cos(a+b)]. Then, you can use the substitution method to integrate.

3. What is the significance of the limits 0 to 2pi in the integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) dx?

The limits 0 to 2pi represent the interval over which the integral is being evaluated. In this case, it is the entire period of the sine function, which is 2pi.

4. Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, the integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) dx can also be solved using trigonometric identities, such as the double angle formula for sine, which is sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x).

5. What is the physical interpretation of this integral?

This integral has various physical interpretations, depending on the context in which it is being used. For example, it can represent the average value of a sine wave over one full period, or the area under the curve of a damped harmonic oscillator with a frequency of 1 Hz.