1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) dx from 0 to 2pi.

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integral of sin(x) sin(x+1) dx from 0 to 2pi.

2. Relevant equations
    Integration by parts: Integral u dv = uv – Integral v du

3. The attempt at a solution
    My work has been attached as MyWork.jpg. I, basically, get 0 * integral_I_started_with = something_else instead of nonzero_constant * integral_I_started_with = something_else and, given that I've done this problem a multitude of times and failed (if I remember correctly, always with the same issue) and, I was hoping someone here could point out my mistake.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try a different approach. There's a trig formula that will let you express sin(A)sin(B) as a sum of simple trig functions. Can you find it?

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That image is difficult to read and in any case you didn't put in the limits. But integration by parts isn't what you want to do anyway. Use the formula$$
    \sin a \sin b =\frac 1 2 (\cos(a-b)-\cos(a+b))$$

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your double integration by parts yielded
    [tex]\int \sin(x)\sin(x+1)dx = -\sin(x+1)\cos(x) + \cos(x+1)\sin(x) + \int \sin(x)\sin(x+1)dx[/tex]
    (This is the line just before the line that is colored red.) Subtract the integral from both sides and you get
    [tex]0 = -\sin(x+1)\cos(x) + \cos(x+1)\sin(x)[/tex]
    One may rightfully ask, what gives?

Look at the right hand side, ##-\sin(x+1)\cos(x) + \cos(x+1)\sin(x)##. This is ##\sin(x-(x+1))##, or ##\sin(1)##. So now we have the even more nonsensical ##\sin(1)=0##, which obviously is not true.

What happened is that you dropped a constant of integration. That supposedly nonsensical ##\sin(1)=0## is better stated as ##\sin(1) = c##. Instead of reaching a contradiction you've reached a tautology.

Bottom line: That's Just one of those things you need to be aware of when you do integration by parts.

Here's a hint that will help you solve this integral: Use the trick that x-x=0.
    With this, cos(a) = cos(a+x-x) = cos((a+x)-x) = cos(a+x)cos(x) + sin(a+x)sin(x).
    Now substitute a=1.

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5

s3a

Thanks, guys!

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6
    An alternative approach.
    Let
    $$I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sin(x)\cdot\sin(x+1)dx $$

The integral is equivalent to
    $$I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sin(2\pi-x)\cdot \sin(2\pi-(x-1))dx=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)\cdot\sin(x-1)dx$$

Add the two expressions to get,
    $$2I=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)(\sin(x+1)+\sin(x-1))dx$$
    Use ##\sin(A)+\sin(B)=2\sin((A+B)/2)\cos((A-B)/2)## to obtain,
    $$2I=\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x)(2\sin(x)\cos(1))dx \Rightarrow I=\cos(1)\int_0^{2\pi} \sin^2x dx$$

From the formula, ##\cos(2x)=1-2\sin^2x##, the integral can be easily evaluated.

I hope that helped.

8. Oct 13, 2013 #7
    This problem could have been solved with much more ease, if you multiply the integral and divide by 2 and then isolate 1/2 out. Then apply formula 2sinAsinB=cos(A-B)-cos(A+B).

I know its too late to post here though.

Edit: Excellent hint given by LC Kurtz and Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted