Integral of {sqrt(4-x^2)} from 0 to 2?

• Thread starter momogiri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of {sqrt(4-x^2)} from 0 to 2 can be solved by first setting x = 2sin(u) and then making a change of variable from dx to du. This results in the integral becoming 2cos(u) from 0 to 2, which simplifies to just pi.
momogiri
[SOLVED] Integral of {sqrt(4-x^2)} from 0 to 2?

Can someone please explain step by step for this?
I know the answer is pi, I just don't understand the steps towards solving it

First, I'm supposed to set x = 2sin(u)
so then u = arcsin(x/2)
then somehow, {sqrt(4-x^2)} = 2cos(u)
How'd that happen? @__@
I'm really really confused!

Thanks for tolerating XD

Physics news on Phys.org
momogiri said:
Can someone please explain step by step for this?
I know the answer is pi, I just don't understand the steps towards solving it

First, I'm supposed to set x = 2sin(u)
so then u = arcsin(x/2)
then somehow, {sqrt(4-x^2)} = 2cos(u)
How'd that happen? @__@
I'm really really confused!

Thanks for tolerating XD

Okay so we have,

[tex]\int^{2}_{0} \sqrt{4-x^2}\;\;dx[/tex]

And if we let [itex]x = 2\sin u[/itex], then we obtain,

[tex]\int^{2}_{0} \sqrt{4-\left(2\sin u\right)^2}\;\;dx[/tex]

[tex] = \int^{2}_{0} \sqrt{4-4\sin^2 u}\;\;dx[/tex]

[tex] = \int^{2}_{0} \sqrt{4\left(1-\sin^2 u\right)}\;\;dx[/tex]

[tex] = \int^{2}_{0} 2\sqrt{1-\sin^2 u}\;\;dx[/tex]

However, we know that [itex]\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta = 1 \Rightarrow 1-\sin^2\theta = \cos^2\theta[/itex]. Hence, the integral becomes,

[tex]\int^{2}_{0} 2\cos u \;\;dx[/tex]

Is that clear? Don't forget that before you can integrate, you need to make a change of variable from dx to du.

P.S. We have Homework & Coursework forums for textbook questions and assistance with homework and we have Mathematics forums for general mathematics discussions.

Ah! Yes! It helps very much!
Thank you!
And sorry for the misplaced topic >__<;;

momogiri said:
Ah! Yes! It helps very much!
Thank you!
And sorry for the misplaced topic >__<;;
A pleasure. And don't worry about misplacing your topic, we'll let you off... this time :devil:

1. What is the formula for the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2?

The formula for the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2 is ∫sqrt(4-x^2)dx = (1/2)arcsin(x/2) + (1/4)x*sqrt(4-x^2) + C.

2. How do you solve the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2?

To solve the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2, you can use the formula ∫sqrt(4-x^2)dx = (1/2)arcsin(x/2) + (1/4)x*sqrt(4-x^2) + C and plug in the upper and lower limits of integration, which in this case are 0 and 2. Then, you can simplify the equation and solve for the constant C.

3. Why do we use the formula (1/2)arcsin(x/2) + (1/4)x*sqrt(4-x^2) + C for the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2?

The formula (1/2)arcsin(x/2) + (1/4)x*sqrt(4-x^2) + C comes from the substitution method, where we substitute u = 4-x^2 in the original equation. This substitution allows us to simplify the integral and solve for the constant C, making it easier to find the solution.

4. Can you use a different method to solve the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2, such as the trigonometric substitution method or the integration by parts method. However, the formula (1/2)arcsin(x/2) + (1/4)x*sqrt(4-x^2) + C is the most commonly used and efficient method for this specific integral.

5. What is the significance of the integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2?

The integral of sqrt(4-x^2) from 0 to 2 represents the area under the curve of the function sqrt(4-x^2) between the limits of 0 and 2. This area has many real-world applications, such as in calculating the volume of a sphere or finding the arc length of a circle. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of the function in this specific range.