1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of x*delta((x/y)-t) dx from 0 to infinity

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫x*delta((x/y)-t) dx from 0 to infinity

2. Relevant equations
    ∫x*delta((x/y)-t) dx from 0 to infinity = ty*|y|*θ(ty)

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so using the transformation of variables technique via the Jacobian, I see where the |y| comes from. However, using the dirac delta method I have NO clue how that |y| is derived logically. I know that the property of the dirac delta is that, for ex, ∫f(x)*delta(x-a) dx from x = -infinity to infinity = f(a). In other words, we solve the equation x-a = 0 for x. Likewise, we have ((x/y)-t) = 0, solved for x = ty.

So I can see where ty*θ(ty) comes from...but how is the |y| derived?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try using the substitution u=x/y to get the argument of the delta function to look like it appears in the property you cited.

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't forget that if y is negative you need to adjust the limits in the u integral. That's where the absolute value will come from.

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Ok assuming y is positive( it actually is for the question I was really working on)...
    okay so u = x/y implies x = y*u. So we have (y*u*Delta(u-t))
    we need to convert dx to du
    x = y* u
    Dx = y du
    int(y*u*Delta(u-t)*ydu)
    So u = t and we get
    y*t*y*Heaviside(yt)

I can see how the y is derived now. Hopefully my logic is perfect in my derivation. Thank you!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook