1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral on domain equals minus integral on the reverse domain?

1. Aug 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why integral from a to b of f(x) equals "minus (-)" integral from b to a of f(x)??? when a<b or a>b

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2013 #2
    Is this a homework question or your own question?

4. Aug 17, 2013 #3
    I am reading Apostol calculus and I couldn't figure out how the above relation got derived!

5. Aug 17, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You want this I believe :

##\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx = - \int_{b}^{a} f(x) dx##

Is it that you're not understanding how to prove it or is it conceptually confusing?

6. Aug 17, 2013 #5
    Exactly that I meant! It is conceptually confusing ( even though I thought I am good at that) and I don't know where it came from!
    Many thanks for help

7. Aug 17, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Think about this integral :

##\int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx## where you assume ##a≤b##.

In words, it represents the area under the curve when we integrate f(x) from a to b. Right?

Now think about this one :

##- \int_{b}^{a} f(x) dx## now you assume ##a≥b##.

This one will represent the area under the curve when we integrate f(x) from b to a. The negative sign 'flips' the answer around so you will get the same answer as if you integrated from a to b.

I hope that clears that up a bit.

Do you know about Riemann sums at all? The mesh of a partition? Any definitions you have would be great.

8. Aug 17, 2013 #7
    Thanks for your time! But I still don't understand the geometric representation for this. And, both integrals are related to each other only when a<b for both the positive and the negative.

9. Aug 17, 2013 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If I remember correctly, Apostol defines the integral [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex] through "Riemann sums" only for a< b, the defines [itex]\int_b^a f(x)dx= -\int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex].

10. Aug 17, 2013 #9
    Here is a simple way to look at this. When [itex]\frac{d}{dx}F(x)=f(x)[/itex], [itex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)[/itex]. Also, [itex]\int_{b}^{a}f(x)dx=F(a)-F(b)=-(F(b)-F(a))[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx=-\int_{b}^{a}f(x)dx[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted