dirk_mec1
- 755
- 13
Homework Statement
Evaluate
[tex] \int_0^1\frac{\arctan t}{t\sqrt{1-t^2}}dt[/tex]
The Attempt at a Solution
I suspect I need to subsitute something but what?
I've tried your suggestions and failed to get an integral which I can solve...CompuChip said:I'm getting a little lost in trig identities, so I haven't looked into it very much. But have you tried t = tan(x) to get rid of the arctan, or t = sin(x) or cos(x) to get rid of the square root ?
FedEx said:Its cos(2Theta) and not cos(theta)
FedEx said:After doing that bring the entire term in terms of alpha. You will get
[tex]\int\frac{1}{(\frac{1-{\alpha}^2}{\alpha})(\sqrt{{\alpha}^2 +1})}[/tex]
Do this with partial fractions.
PS I have not written the 2's and root 2's coming in the equation
CompuChip said:You get rid of it in the integration by parts, I presume.
dirk_mec1 said:In the IBP: integrate w.r.t. to what?
FedEx said:You will have to apply parts before the above substitution. So that we will get rid of the [tex]\theta[/tex]
Cyosis said:FedEx could you show us how you did the integration by parts. I have tried to get rid of [tex]\theta[/tex] as you suggest, but it doesn't seem to lead to a manageable integral.
Cyosis said://
You should be able to rearrange the integrand so you recognize the arctangent. Note that we now have f'(a). Now try to find the answer of your original integral with a=1.
dirk_mec1 said:I agree, Fedex you've made mistake somewhere.
Cyosis said:I am pretty sure FedEx has made a mistake integrating by parts and as a result his method seems to lead to a dead end. CompuChip's analysis with mathematica should give us a clue that there exists no primitive to the integral. However there is a smart trick to get an exact value for the definite integral from 0 to 1.
First we define the function [tex]f(a) = \int_0^1 \frac{\arctan(a t)}{t \sqrt{1-t^2}}[/tex] with [tex]a \geq 0[/tex]. Then take the derivate of f(a) with respect to a and use the substitution [tex]t=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2}}[/tex].
[tex] \begin{align*}<br /> f'(a) & = \int_0^1 \frac{1}{a^2 t^2+1} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-t^2}}\,dt<br /> \\<br /> & = - \int_{\infty}^0 \frac{1}{(\frac{a^2}{1+u^2}+1) \sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{1+u^2}}} \frac{u}{(1+u^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\,du<br /> \\<br /> &= \int_0^{\infty} \frac{du}{a^2+1+u^2}<br /> <br /> \end{align*}[/tex]
You should be able to rearrange the integrand so you recognize the arctangent. Note that we now have f'(a). Now try to find the answer of your original integral with a=1.
snipez90 said:Hmmm I also pursued n!kofeyn's first step but I'm lost on how to deal with arctan(sinx). I can work with the limits of integration but there must be another clever step (or maybe easy) that I'm missing. I'll look at this later.