Integral Q: s(x)<=f(x)<=t(x), Equal Areas?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: If the rectangles that I highlighted in green and orange have equal areas then f(x) whose area is surrounded by these rectanels must be integrable because ∫s(x)dx = ∫t(x)dx on [a,b] . how far off am I?You're close, but not entirely there.Remember that we used to calculate the area under a graph by drawing little rectangles below it? This is the generalisation of that procedure.Note that it is only talking about step functions, i.e. functions of the form s(x) = \begin{cases} c_0 & x \in [a_0, b_0
Miike012
I am confused on what the paragraph is saying which is copied onto the paint document...
I think it is saying that the graph, which I added to the paint document, has two
Integrable function s(x) and t(x) in which s(x) <= f(x) <= t(x). If the rectangles that I highlighted in green and orange have equal areas then f(x) whose area is surrounded by these rectanels must be integrable because ∫s(x)dx = ∫t(x)dx on [a,b] . how far off am I?

Attachments

• MMM.jpg
    MMM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're close, but not entirely there.

Remember that we used to calculate the area under a graph by drawing little rectangles below it? This is the generalisation of that procedure.

Note that it is only talking about step functions, i.e. functions of the form
[tex]s(x) = \begin{cases} c_0 & x \in [a_0, b_0], \\ c_1 & x \in [a_1, b_1], \\ \vdots & \vdots \\ c_n & x \in [a_n, b_n] \end{cases}[/tex]

The idea is, we define the integral of such a function, as
[tex]\int_{a_0}^{b_n} s(x) \, dx = \sum_{i = 0}^n c_i (b_i - a_i)[/tex]
Then we define the lower and upper Riemann sums of f as
[tex]I_{a}^{b}(f) = \sup_{s \le f} \int_a^b s(x) \, dx[/tex]
and
[tex]J_{a}^{b}(f) = \inf_{s \ge f} \int_a^b s(x) \, dx[/tex]
respectively. This is bascially a approximation with rectangles of the function f.

Now you have a sequence of inequalities like [itex]a \le I \le J \le d[/itex], and the second part of the theorem basically says that if a = d, then I = J.
In that case, we call I = J the integral of f, denoted by the familiar notation, and we call it integrable.

So we basically extend the "simple" intuitive definition to (almost) arbitrary functions.

CompuChip said:
Remember that we used to calculate the area under a graph by drawing little rectangles below it? This is the generalisation of that procedure.

Note that it is only talking about step functions, i.e. functions of the form
[tex]s(x) = \begin{cases} c_0 & x \in [a_0, b_0], \\ c_1 & x \in [a_1, b_1], \\ \vdots & \vdots \\ c_n & x \in [a_n, b_n] \end{cases}[/tex]

Is that what you meant to write?

Oops, of course I meant them to be continuous and open intervals, good catch!

[tex]s(x) = \begin{cases} c_0 & x \in )a_0, a_1), \\ c_1 & x \in (a_1, a_2), \\ \vdots & \vdots \\ c_n & x \in (a_n, a_{n + 1}) \end{cases}[/tex]

What is the meaning of "Integral Q: s(x)<=f(x)<=t(x), Equal Areas"?

"Integral Q: s(x)<=f(x)<=t(x), Equal Areas" is a mathematical concept that refers to a specific type of integration problem. It involves finding the area under a curve between two points (represented by s(x) and t(x)) and ensuring that the area above the curve is equal to the area below the curve.

What is the purpose of using this concept?

The purpose of using this concept is to calculate the exact value of a definite integral. It allows us to find the area under a curve between two points with precision, rather than just an approximation.

How does this concept relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

This concept is closely related to the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations. By using this concept, we are essentially finding the inverse of a derivative, which is the original function.

What are the key steps to solving a problem using "Integral Q: s(x)<=f(x)<=t(x), Equal Areas"?

The key steps to solving a problem using this concept are:

1. Identify the values of s(x) and t(x), which represent the start and end points of the integral.
  2. Find the function f(x) that represents the curve under which you are calculating the area.
  3. Set up the integral equation, which will have the form ∫f(x)dx = ∫s(x)t(x)dx.
  4. Solve the equation by finding the antiderivative of f(x) and plugging in the values of s(x) and t(x).

What are some real-world applications of "Integral Q: s(x)<=f(x)<=t(x), Equal Areas"?

This concept is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to find displacement, finding the total revenue of a company over a period of time, and determining the probability of an event occurring within a certain range.