Integral test for converging series

In summary, the conversation discusses using the integral test to determine if a function is converging or diverging. The function in question is a summation from n=1 to infinity, and it is mentioned that the n=5 term causes the series to diverge. It is also explained that for the integral test to be valid, the summand (function) must be monotone decreasing and non-negative on the entire summation interval. The conversation also addresses an example where the function is found to be converging, but it is pointed out that the n=5 term makes the function undefined. Finally, it is clarified that the integral of the function does not converge.
lha08

Homework Statement

In one of my problems, I'm asked to use integral test in order to determine whether the following function is converging or diverging:
(summation from n=1 to inf) 1/(n^2-4n-5)
I was just wondering how do we know if function is positive, continuous and decreasing because when i tried to see if it was positive (i plugged in a value), i got a negative...
Also, for a integral test, does the entire function have to be decreasing?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

lha08 said:

Homework Statement

In one of my problems, I'm asked to use integral test in order to determine whether the following function is converging or diverging:
(summation from n=1 to inf) 1/(n^2-4n-5)
I was just wondering how do we know if function is positive, continuous and decreasing because when i tried to see if it was positive (i plugged in a value), i got a negative...
Also, for a integral test, does the entire function have to be decreasing?

Is the summation really form n=1 to infinity? If so, I can tell you without testing that the series diverges (take a look at the the n=5 term:wink:)

Anyways, for the integral test to be a valid test, your summand (function) must be monotone decreasing and non-negative on the entire summation interval. If you plug in a value of 'n' (on the summation interval) and get a negative number you should know right there that the integral test is useless.

gabbagabbahey said:
Is the summation really form n=1 to infinity? If so, I can tell you without testing that the series diverges (take a look at the the n=5 term:wink:)

Anyways, for the integral test to be a valid test, your summand (function) must be monotone decreasing and non-negative on the entire summation interval. If you plug in a value of 'n' (on the summation interval) and get a negative number you should know right there that the integral test is useless.

You said that's it's apparently diverging, but in the example, we found it to be converging:(-1/6)ln(-2)...i don't know 'cause you mentioned that it has to be non-negative on its entire summation interval...:confused:

lha08 said:
You said that's it's apparently diverging, but in the example, we found it to be converging:(-1/6)ln(-2)...i don't know 'cause you mentioned that it has to be non-negative on its entire summation interval...:confused:

There is no way this series converges for n=1 to n=infinty... the problem is the n=5 term...

[tex]f(5)=1/(5^2-4(5)-5)=1/0=\infty[/tex]

How can a sum converge when one of its terms is undefined?!

Also, [tex]\int_1^\infty 1/(x^2-4x-5)dx\neq\frac{-1}{6}\ln(-2)[/tex] ...the integral doesn't even converge!

What is the integral test for converging series?

The integral test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves comparing the series to an integral of a function, and if the integral converges, then the series also converges.

How do you apply the integral test to a series?

To apply the integral test, you must first determine if the series is positive and decreasing. Then, find the corresponding function and integrate it. Finally, compare the resulting integral to the original series.

What is the relationship between the integral test and the comparison test?

The integral test and the comparison test are both used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. However, the integral test is more powerful and can be used on a wider range of series than the comparison test.

Can the integral test be used to determine the exact sum of a convergent series?

No, the integral test only tells us whether a series converges or diverges. It does not provide an exact value for the sum of a convergent series.

What are the limitations of the integral test?

The integral test can only be used on positive and decreasing series. It also requires knowledge of integration to apply it effectively. Additionally, it may not be able to determine the convergence of some series that are not in the form of a standard function.