1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral test for converging series

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In one of my problems, i'm asked to use integral test in order to determine whether the following function is converging or diverging:
    (summation from n=1 to inf) 1/(n^2-4n-5)
    I was just wondering how do we know if function is positive, continuous and decreasing because when i tried to see if it was positive (i plugged in a value), i got a negative...
    Also, for a integral test, does the entire function have to be decreasing?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Series

Is the summation really form n=1 to infinity? If so, I can tell you without testing that the series diverges (take a look at the the n=5 term:wink:)

Anyways, for the integral test to be a valid test, your summand (function) must be monotone decreasing and non-negative on the entire summation interval. If you plug in a value of 'n' (on the summation interval) and get a negative number you should know right there that the integral test is useless.

4. May 12, 2009 #3

You said that's it's apparently diverging, but in the example, we found it to be converging:(-1/6)ln(-2)...i dunno 'cause you mentioned that it has to be non-negative on its entire summation interval...:confused:

5. May 12, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no way this series converges for n=1 to n=infinty.... the problem is the n=5 term...

[tex]f(5)=1/(5^2-4(5)-5)=1/0=\infty[/tex]

How can a sum converge when one of its terms is undefined?!

Also, [tex]\int_1^\infty 1/(x^2-4x-5)dx\neq\frac{-1}{6}\ln(-2)[/tex] ...the integral doesn't even converge!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook