1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral where I need to classify the singularities

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    Hi I'm just working on an integral where I need to classify the singularities of the integrand [tex]\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{z^4 - 1}}[/tex].

There are singularities at [tex]z = \pm 1, \pm i[/tex] but the ones I'm interested in are at [tex]z = \pm 1[/tex].

[tex]
    \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{z^4 - 1}} = \frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)\left( {z + 1} \right)\left( {z^2 + 1} \right)}}
    [/tex]

My immediate thought was that z = 1 is a simple pole but if it is I should be able to write [tex]\frac{{\sin \left( {\pi z} \right)}}{{z^4 - 1}} = \frac{{h\left( z \right)}}{{\left( {z - 1} \right)}}[/tex] where h is analytic in a neighbourhood of z = 1 and non-zero at z = 1 but this doesn't seem to be the case here. The answer I have seems to be saying that z = 1 is a simple pole but at the moment I can't see how it can be.

Any input would be great thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So the problem is that [itex]sin \pi z[/itex] has a zero at z= 1. How could you write [itex]sin \pi z[/itex] as a Taylor's series around z= 1?

4. May 7, 2007 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you figure out what the singularities are?

5. May 8, 2007 #4
    I found the singularities by setting z^4 - 1 = 0.

The first term in the series for the sin(pi*z), centred at 1, is zero but the second one (which is something multiplied by (z-1)) isn't. So the singularity should be removable but then it isn't a simple pole. It makes no difference to the integral that I was calculating but it's just something that's puzzling me.

6. May 8, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the singularity at z= 1 is removable, not a pole. What made you think it was a pole?

7. May 10, 2007 #6
    The answer said it was a pole.:redface: I guess in future I should use my judgement when looking at the answers.

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?