1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4)

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. I have a problem with a innocent-looking integral:

[tex] \int\frac{x^2 + 7x + 12}{x + 4} dx [/tex]

It doesn't look like i can use the law of sines, because the numerator is of higher order than the denominator. It doesn't look like the numerator is a multiple of the denominator or vice versa. It doesn't look like I can split the relatively complex numerator to an useful product.

It looks like it relies on some high school level math for solving polynomials / fractions, but my math is rather rusty in some places and I can't seem to recall anything. I could look for the method if I knew its name. Sometimes it's best to ask a human being.

2. Relevant equations

It's from introductory examples, which means I'm not yet allowed to use:
    - Integration by substitution
    - Integration by parts

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int\frac{x^2 + 7x + 12}{x + 4} dx = \int \frac{x^2}{x + 4} + \frac{7x}{x + 4} + \frac{12}{x + 4} dx =[/tex]
    [tex]=\int \frac{x^2}{x + 4} + \frac{7x}{x + 4}dx + 12 \int \frac{dx}{x + 4} =[/tex]
    [tex]= \int \frac{x^2}{x + 4} + \frac{7x}{x + 4}dx + 12 \ln |x + 4| + C_1[/tex]

No, I can't get very far.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2
    The top can be factored, so that the denominator is canceled.

4. Dec 31, 2011 #3
    Oh, I gave up too soon.
    It's not too hard if you start with the assumption that (x + 4) is a factor in numerator. Case closed :-)

5. Dec 31, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even if (x+4) were not a factor of the numerator, you can still do it by dividing the numerator by the denominator giving you a quotient and remainder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook