Integral (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4)

• Thread starter b0rsuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the person is struggling with an integral problem involving a higher order numerator and a denominator. They mention not being able to use certain methods and not being familiar with solving polynomials and fractions. Eventually, they realize that the denominator is a factor of the numerator, making the problem solvable. They also mention another method of dividing the numerator by the denominator to find a quotient and remainder.
b0rsuk

Homework Statement

Hello. I have a problem with a innocent-looking integral:

[tex] \int\frac{x^2 + 7x + 12}{x + 4} dx [/tex]

It doesn't look like i can use the law of sines, because the numerator is of higher order than the denominator. It doesn't look like the numerator is a multiple of the denominator or vice versa. It doesn't look like I can split the relatively complex numerator to an useful product.

It looks like it relies on some high school level math for solving polynomials / fractions, but my math is rather rusty in some places and I can't seem to recall anything. I could look for the method if I knew its name. Sometimes it's best to ask a human being.

Homework Equations

It's from introductory examples, which means I'm not yet allowed to use:
- Integration by substitution
- Integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int\frac{x^2 + 7x + 12}{x + 4} dx = \int \frac{x^2}{x + 4} + \frac{7x}{x + 4} + \frac{12}{x + 4} dx =[/tex]
[tex]=\int \frac{x^2}{x + 4} + \frac{7x}{x + 4}dx + 12 \int \frac{dx}{x + 4} =[/tex]
[tex]= \int \frac{x^2}{x + 4} + \frac{7x}{x + 4}dx + 12 \ln |x + 4| + C_1[/tex]

No, I can't get very far.

Physics news on Phys.org
The top can be factored, so that the denominator is canceled.

Oh, I gave up too soon.
It's not too hard if you start with the assumption that (x + 4) is a factor in numerator. Case closed :-)

b0rsuk said:
Oh, I gave up too soon.
It's not too hard if you start with the assumption that (x + 4) is a factor in numerator. Case closed :-)

Even if (x+4) were not a factor of the numerator, you can still do it by dividing the numerator by the denominator giving you a quotient and remainder.

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4)?

The purpose of finding the integral of a function is to determine the area under the curve of that function. In this case, the integral of (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4) will give us the area under the curve of this rational function, between the given limits of integration.

2. How do you find the integral of (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4)?

To find the integral of a rational function, we use the method of partial fractions. We first factor the denominator and then express the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. Then, we can use the power rule and the constant multiple rule to integrate each term separately.

3. What are the limits of integration for (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4)?

The limits of integration for a definite integral are the values of x where we want to evaluate the integral. In this case, the limits of integration would be given to us in the problem or we can choose them ourselves based on the context of the problem.

4. Can the integral of (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4) be evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus states that the integral of a function f(x) between two limits of integration, a and b, is equal to the difference of the antiderivatives of f(x) evaluated at a and b. So, if we can find the antiderivative of (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4), we can evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Are there any other methods to evaluate the integral of (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4)?

Yes, there are other methods such as integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric substitution that can be used to evaluate the integral of (x^2 + 7x + 12)/(x + 4). However, the method of partial fractions is the most commonly used and efficient method for rational functions.