Integrals and dirac delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral involving the Delta function and how to approach solving it. One person provides insight on the behavior of the Delta function and the boundaries of the integral, while another person shares their understanding of Latex and how to use it in equations. The final conclusion is that the integral simplifies to the value of the function f(t+T).
EvLer
hello again,
i have an integral to solve and not sure how to approach this:

[tex]\int f(q+T)\delta (t-q)dq [/tex]

and the boundaries of integral are -inf +inf couldn't figure it out with latex.
what I know about this is that if delta function is integrated like this, it would be just the value of the function f(q) at some point. What bothers me is that f(q) is shifted to the right and I am not sure where the dirac delta function samples f(q). actually, I think I'm sort of confused...with all the variables in there q and t??
Any help is very much appreciated.

edit: my best estimation of the solution to this is f(t+T)?
not sure if that's correct, but [tex]\delta (-t) = \delta (t) [/tex], so [tex] \delta (t-q) = \delta (q-t) [/tex] which means that the integral = f(q + T) evaluated at q = t, i.e. value of f(t + T)? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got it right, and your analysis is correct.

Carl

EvLer said:
hello again,
i have an integral to solve and not sure how to approach this:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(q+T)\delta (t-q)dq [/tex]

and the boundaries of integral are -inf +inf couldn't figure it out with latex.
... :confused:
You mean, like this :smile:

Thanks for checking my work and ... um... Latex (i still don't know how to do that, will have to read tutorials in Physics section).

EvLer said:
Thanks for checking my work and ... um... Latex (i still don't know how to do that, will have to read tutorials in Physics section).
If you click on the "quote" button at the bottom of my post, you can see the latex code I used. Or, the latex code anyone else has used.

For yourself, or for anyone esle reading, you can do subscripts and superscripts with the undescore (_) and carat (^) characters.
For example, x^2 becomes [tex]x^2[/tex] and x_2 becomes [tex]x_2[/tex].

The underscore and carat characters always operate on the next "object" following them. The object can be a single character or it can be a group of characters if they are enclosed within curly brackets - {}.
So,
\int_2^3 will give [tex]\int_2^3[/tex] while \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} gives [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}[/tex]

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What is the dirac delta function?

The dirac delta function is a mathematical function that is defined as a spike at the origin and zero everywhere else. It is often used in physics and engineering to model point sources or idealized impulses.

3. How are integrals and dirac delta function related?

The dirac delta function can be used as an integration tool in certain cases, such as when integrating over a point source. It can also be used to represent the derivative of a step function, which is useful in solving differential equations.

4. Can the dirac delta function be integrated?

Technically, the dirac delta function cannot be integrated in the traditional sense, as it is not a continuous function. However, it can be thought of as the limit of a sequence of functions that can be integrated, and thus can be used in integration calculations.

5. How is the dirac delta function used in real-world applications?

The dirac delta function is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. It can be used to model point sources, idealized impulses, and sharp transitions in systems. It is also used in solving differential equations and performing calculations in quantum mechanics.