Integrals involving trig substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral of \frac{3dx}{\sqrt{3+X^2}} using the substitution method and also another method involving partial fractions. The final answer is 3*ln(X + sqrt(3+X^2) + C. This is a review problem for a test, and the conversation includes a step-by-step explanation of the solution.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

I don't know how to solve these. How do you evaluate the integral of [tex]\frac{3dx}{\sqrt{3+X^2}}[/tex]? I know you have to set x=atan[tex]\theta[/tex].

our a is [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] so x =[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]tan[tex]\theta[/tex]. That means
dx=[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]sec2[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex].

I also made a right triangle using the information that tan[tex]\theta[/tex]=X/sqrt(3)

So the two legs of the triangle are X and sqrt(3) and the hypotenuse is sqrt{X^2+3

I try to solve using substitution but I can never get the right answer.

The answer is supposed to be 3*ln(X + sqrt(3+X^2) + C

I can't seem to get tags to work properly so just bear with the poor formatting.

I have a test on this stuff tomorrow and this is a review problem. Sadly, my professor did not give us solutions; just answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chandasouk said:
How do you evaluate the integral of [tex]\frac{3dx}{\sqrt{3+X^2}}[/tex]? I know you have to set x=atan[tex]\theta[/tex].

our a is [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] so x =[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]tan[tex]\theta[/tex]. That means
dx=[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]sec2[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex].

Yep, so we have:
[tex]
\int \frac{dx}{ \sqrt{x^2+3} }
= \int \frac{\sqrt{3}\sec^2 \theta}{\sqrt{3(\tan^2\theta + 1)}} d\theta
= \int \frac{\sqrt{3}\sec^2\theta}{\sqrt{3\sec^2\theta}} d\theta
= \int \sec\theta d\theta
= \int \sec\theta\,\frac{\sec \theta + \tan \theta}{\sec \theta + \tan \theta}\, d\theta
[/tex]

EDIT: Idk if all that LaTeX is showing up correctly. If not, just click on it for the full code.
EDIT#2: Thanks vela for fixing it. stupid brackets haha...
Can you figure out the rest?
Do a substitution on the denominator.

The answer is indeed
[tex] 3 \ ln|x + \sqrt{3+x^2}| \ + \ C [/tex].

Last edited:
Fixed your LaTeX. You were missing a few }'s.

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{ \sqrt{x^2+3} }
= \int \frac{\sqrt{3}\sec^2 \theta}{\sqrt{3(\tan^2\theta + 1)}} d\theta
= \int \frac{\sqrt{3}\sec^2\theta}{\sqrt{3\sec^2\theta}} d\theta
= \int \sec\theta d\theta
= \int \sec\theta\,\frac{\sec \theta + \tan \theta}{\sec \theta + \tan \theta}\, d\theta[/tex]

There is another way:
[tex]
\int\frac{d\theta}{\cos\theta}=\int\frac{\cos\theta}{\cos^{2}\theta}d\theta =\int\frac{\cos\theta}{1-\sin^{2}\theta}d\theta
[/tex]
Split up using partial fractions and you have a nice simple integral to do.

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used to evaluate integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral, which allows for the use of trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

2. When should I use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when an integral involves expressions of the form √(a^2 - x^2), √(a^2 + x^2), or √(x^2 - a^2). These types of integrals can be simplified using trigonometric identities, making them easier to evaluate.

3. How do I choose which trigonometric substitution to use?

The substitution you choose will depend on the form of the integral. If the integral involves expressions of the form √(a^2 - x^2), you should use the substitution x = a sinθ. If the integral involves expressions of the form √(a^2 + x^2), you should use the substitution x = a tanθ. If the integral involves expressions of the form √(x^2 - a^2), you should use the substitution x = a secθ.

4. What are the steps to evaluate an integral using trigonometric substitution?

The steps to evaluate an integral using trigonometric substitution are as follows:
1. Identify the form of the integral and choose the appropriate substitution.
2. Substitute the expression for the variable in the integral.
3. Use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
4. Evaluate the integral and substitute back in the original variable, if necessary.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to substitute back in the original variable after evaluating the integral. It's also important to carefully use trigonometric identities and remember to account for any changes in limits of integration when using trigonometric substitution.