Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals of rational functions

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    i'm trapped with a problem: [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{2-x-x^2}}[/tex].

i think this problem could be solved by subtitutions: [tex]\ x+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{3}{2}sint[/tex] and [tex]\ u=tan\frac{t}{2}[/tex].
    and finally we would get an expression in [tex]\ u[/tex]: [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} log\left|\frac{2\sqrt{2}+u-3}{2\sqrt{2}-u+3}\right|[/tex]
    (am i right so far?)

however i find it difficult and tedious to write the result in x and get the final answer.

does anyone know how to evaluate this integral in an alternative way?

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2
    another question is how to evaluate the integral [tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{2-x-x^2}}{x^2}dx[/tex].
    i used the method of integration by parts, anyone knows some smarter way to do it?

4. Jan 2, 2008 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

yes this is the correct substitution. my answer is slight different from yours, but it could be just me not doing it carefully, or they are actually the same but written in slightly different form. Anyway method is correct.

5. Jan 2, 2008 #4
    thanks mjsd.

i know that the method itself is correct, but it just seems a little tedious, especially when we need to write the final answer in variable x.

is there any other substitution we could use to attack this integral? or any alternative methods rather than the routine process to integrate rational function?

6. Jan 2, 2008 #5

mjsd

Homework Helper

when I have time I may try to do this again, but I do not believe it is overly complicated when you put it in terms of x. (well, that depends on your definition of "complicated"), you probably just got to know some tricks to simplify it.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, you do understand that these are not "rational functions", as you said in your title, don't you? Was that just a typo for "radical functions"?

8. Jan 3, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It may be a tiny bit 'tedious' to write again in terms of x, but not difficult, and no where near as tedious as have doing that integral in the first place..

[tex]x+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{3}{2}\sin t[/tex] so [tex] \sin t = (x+\frac{1}{2})(\frac{2}{3}) = \frac{2x+1}{3}[/tex] hence, [tex]t= \arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)[/tex]

So

[tex]u = \tan \left( \frac{\arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)}{2} \right)[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?