Integrals of rational functions

In summary: Using the half-angle identity for tangent, we have \tan \left( \frac{\arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)}{2} \right) = \frac{\sin \left(\frac{\arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)}{2}\right)}{\cos \left(\frac{\arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)}{2}\right)}= \frac{\sqrt{\frac{1-\cos \left(\frac{\arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)}{2}\right)}{2}}}{\sqrt{\frac
y_lindsay
i'm trapped with a problem: [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{2-x-x^2}}[/tex].

i think this problem could be solved by subtitutions: [tex]\ x+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{3}{2}sint[/tex] and [tex]\ u=tan\frac{t}{2}[/tex].
and finally we would get an expression in [tex]\ u[/tex]: [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} log\left|\frac{2\sqrt{2}+u-3}{2\sqrt{2}-u+3}\right|[/tex]
(am i right so far?)

however i find it difficult and tedious to write the result in x and get the final answer.

does anyone know how to evaluate this integral in an alternative way?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
another question is how to evaluate the integral [tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{2-x-x^2}}{x^2}dx[/tex].
i used the method of integration by parts, anyone knows some smarter way to do it?

y_lindsay said:
i'm trapped with a problem: [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{2-x-x^2}}[/tex].

i think this problem could be solved by subtitutions: [tex]\ x+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{3}{2}sint[/tex] and [tex]\ u=tan\frac{t}{2}[/tex].

yes this is the correct substitution. my answer is slight different from yours, but it could be just me not doing it carefully, or they are actually the same but written in slightly different form. Anyway method is correct.

thanks mjsd.

i know that the method itself is correct, but it just seems a little tedious, especially when we need to write the final answer in variable x.

is there any other substitution we could use to attack this integral? or any alternative methods rather than the routine process to integrate rational function?

y_lindsay said:
thanks mjsd.

i know that the method itself is correct, but it just seems a little tedious, especially when we need to write the final answer in variable x.

is there any other substitution we could use to attack this integral? or any alternative methods rather than the routine process to integrate rational function?

when I have time I may try to do this again, but I do not believe it is overly complicated when you put it in terms of x. (well, that depends on your definition of "complicated"), you probably just got to know some tricks to simplify it.

By the way, you do understand that these are not "rational functions", as you said in your title, don't you? Was that just a typo for "radical functions"?

It may be a tiny bit 'tedious' to write again in terms of x, but not difficult, and no where near as tedious as have doing that integral in the first place..

[tex]x+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{3}{2}\sin t[/tex] so [tex] \sin t = (x+\frac{1}{2})(\frac{2}{3}) = \frac{2x+1}{3}[/tex] hence, [tex]t= \arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)[/tex]

So

[tex]u = \tan \left( \frac{\arcsin \left(\frac{2x+1}{3}\right)}{2} \right)[/tex].

What is an integral of a rational function?

An integral of a rational function is the process of finding the antiderivative of the function. It involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the original rational function.

What is the standard form of a rational function?

The standard form of a rational function is f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0. This form allows us to easily identify the numerator and denominator of the function.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral of a rational function?

A definite integral of a rational function is the calculation of the area under the curve of the function between two given points. An indefinite integral, on the other hand, is the general antiderivative of the function without any specific limits.

What are the steps for solving an integral of a rational function?

The steps for solving an integral of a rational function are: 1) Factor the function into its simplest form, if possible. 2) Identify the numerator and denominator of the function. 3) Use the power rule, sum and difference rule, and/or substitution method to find the antiderivative. 4) Add the constant of integration, if necessary.

What are some real-world applications of integrals of rational functions?

Integrals of rational functions have various applications in science, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object, as well as the area under a curve in business and finance. They are also used in calculating the work done by a variable force and in determining the amount of product produced in chemical reactions.