1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate a Ln function

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    I have tried quite a few methods but havent solved this problem, any help ?

[tex]\oint axLn(x/b) dx[/tex]

where a and b are constants

I have tried moving the 'a' outside the integration and solving xln(x/b) using integration by parts . I have also tried splitting xln(x/b) into xlnx -xlnb and integrating that but i'm still having problems.

Any help would be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks to me like u= Ln(x/b), dv= x dx works nicely. Could you show where you have a problem with that integration by parts?
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    u = ln(x/b) => du/dx = 1/xb (is that right ?)
    dv = x dx => v = (x^2)/2

using formula.....

[tex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]Ln(x/b) - [tex]\int (x^2)/2xb[/tex]

how would you integrate this step ?
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it's not. It is [1/(x/b)] times the derivative of x/b or [b/x][1/b]= 1/x.
    A simpler way to do this is to use the fact that ln(x/b)= ln(x)- ln(b). Since ln(b) is a constant, it is clear that the derivative is 1/x, independent of b.

Surely you jest! "x2/x" is just x. You are asking about how to integrate x!
  6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    thanks for your help. this was a simplification of a Navier Stokes equation but I am having problem simplifying the equation after integration...

original Integral

Q = [tex]\int^{ro}_{ri} [r^{2} - ro^{2} + \frac{ri^{2} - ro^{2}}{ln(ro/ri)}ln\frac{r}{ro}]rdr[/tex]

where ro and ri are constants

so far I have managed to break it down to....

[tex]\int^{ro}_{ri}[r^{2} - ro^{2}]rdr + \int^{ro}_{ri}[\frac{ri^{2} - ro^{2}}{ln(ro/ri)}ln\frac{r}{ro}]rdr[/tex]

The first integral is straight foward but the second integral is a bit confusing

can the second integral be written as
    arln(r/b) and solved ? where a and b are constants and then substitute the ri,ro for a and b after integration
  7. Oct 25, 2008 #6
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?