How Can I Integrate a Ln Function Using Different Methods?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving the integral \oint axLn(x/b) dx, where a and b are constants. The person has tried various methods, including integration by parts, but is still having difficulties. They also mention a more complex Navier Stokes equation that they have simplified but are struggling with the integration. The person asks for help in integrating the second part of the simplified equation, wondering if it can be written as arln(r/b) and solved.
mjk1
I have tried quite a few methods but haven't solved this problem, any help ?

[tex]\oint axLn(x/b) dx[/tex]

where a and b are constants

I have tried moving the 'a' outside the integration and solving xln(x/b) using integration by parts . I have also tried splitting xln(x/b) into xlnx -xlnb and integrating that but I'm still having problems.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like u= Ln(x/b), dv= x dx works nicely. Could you show where you have a problem with that integration by parts?

u = ln(x/b) => du/dx = 1/xb (is that right ?)
dv = x dx => v = (x^2)/2

using formula...

[tex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]Ln(x/b) - [tex]\int (x^2)/2xb[/tex]

how would you integrate this step ?

mjk1 said:
u = ln(x/b) => du/dx = 1/xb (is that right ?)
No, it's not. It is [1/(x/b)] times the derivative of x/b or [b/x][1/b]= 1/x.
A simpler way to do this is to use the fact that ln(x/b)= ln(x)- ln(b). Since ln(b) is a constant, it is clear that the derivative is 1/x, independent of b.

dv = x dx => v = (x^2)/2

using formula...

[tex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]Ln(x/b) - [tex]\int (x^2)/2xb[/tex]

how would you integrate this step ?
Surely you jest! "x2/x" is just x. You are asking about how to integrate x!

thanks for your help. this was a simplification of a Navier Stokes equation but I am having problem simplifying the equation after integration...

original Integral

Q = [tex]\int^{ro}_{ri} [r^{2} - ro^{2} + \frac{ri^{2} - ro^{2}}{ln(ro/ri)}ln\frac{r}{ro}]rdr[/tex]

where ro and ri are constants

so far I have managed to break it down to...

[tex]\int^{ro}_{ri}[r^{2} - ro^{2}]rdr + \int^{ro}_{ri}[\frac{ri^{2} - ro^{2}}{ln(ro/ri)}ln\frac{r}{ro}]rdr[/tex]

The first integral is straight foward but the second integral is a bit confusing

can the second integral be written as
arln(r/b) and solved ? where a and b are constants and then substitute the ri,ro for a and b after integration

nsequation.jpg

Last edited:

What is a Ln function?

A Ln function, also known as a natural logarithm function, is the inverse of the exponential function. It is denoted as ln(x) and represents the power that the base e (Euler's number) must be raised to in order to get the value of x.

What is the process of integrating a Ln function?

The process of integrating a Ln function is known as anti-differentiation. It involves finding the original function whose derivative is the Ln function. This can be done by using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

What is the general formula for integrating a Ln function?

The general formula for integrating a Ln function is ∫ln(x)dx = xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula can be derived by using integration by parts and the fact that the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x.

Are there any special cases when integrating a Ln function?

Yes, there are some special cases when integrating a Ln function. For example, if the Ln function is inside a square root, the integration can be simplified by using substitution. Additionally, if the Ln function is part of a rational function, the integration can be solved using partial fractions.

Can a Ln function be integrated using other methods?

Yes, a Ln function can also be integrated using techniques such as trigonometric substitution, integration by parts with trigonometric functions, and using the properties of logarithms. However, these methods may not always be the most efficient and may require more steps compared to the general formula.