Integrating a Definite Integral with Trigonometric Functions

• Thread starter utkarsh009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the integral of dt/(t^2 +2tcos a + 1) with limits of integration from 0 to 1 and 0<a<π. The attempted solution involved substituting t=sin a and dt=cosa da, but the last step was incorrect. The expert summarizer suggested a different substitution of t=cos(a) which would result in an easier integral to solve. The conversation ended with the student stating they were able to solve the problem using this substitution, but also mentioning another problem for which they were unable to find a solution.
utkarsh009

Homework Statement

∫dt/(t^2 +2tcos a + 1)
(Limits of the integral are from 0 to 1)
(0<a<π)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Put t=sin a
dt=cosa da
∫dt/(t^2 +2tcos a + 1) = ∫cos a da/(sin^2 a + sin 2a + 1) [ limits of integration changed to 0 to π/2]
= ((cosec a)/2) ∫sin 2a da/(sin^2 a + sin 2a + 1)

I couldn't figure out what to do next... Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
utkarsh009 said:

Homework Statement

∫dt/(t^2 +2tcos a + 1)
(Limits of the integral are from 0 to 1)
(0<a<π)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Put t=sin a
dt=cosa da
∫dt/(t^2 +2tcos a + 1) = ∫cos a da/(sin^2 a + sin 2a + 1) [ limits of integration changed to 0 to π/2]
= ((cosec a)/2) ∫sin 2a da/(sin^2 a + sin 2a + 1)
I don't know what you did in this last step, but you can't bring csc(a) out as if it were a constant.
utkarsh009 said:
I couldn't figure out what to do next... Please help!

Oh yes... By mistake i typed the integration symbol after it. Cosec a should be inside the integral. So, how should i proceed??

I would try a different substitution -- let t = cos(a).That should get you an integral that's easier to do.

Oh yah... Thanks ... I solved it... But have a look at this file... I couldn't get an answer for this...
New Doc 1_1.jpg

What is definite integration?

Definite integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller sections and summing them up. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

The main difference is that definite integration has limits of integration while indefinite integration does not. This means that definite integration gives a specific numerical value while indefinite integration gives a general expression.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that definite integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. This means that if a function is integrated and then differentiated, it will return to its original form.

How do you solve a definite integration problem?

To solve a definite integration problem, you need to first find the indefinite integral of the function. Then, substitute the upper and lower limits into the indefinite integral and subtract the values to get the final solution.

What are some real-life applications of definite integration?

Definite integration has many real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to find displacement, finding the volume of irregular shapes, and determining the total mass of an object by integrating its density function.