1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a second derivative-involving solution for Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Aug 27, 2005 #1
    Hello, i am now in the process of integrating m(d^2x/dt^2)=-kx which i know i will have to do twice in order to obtain the general solution to simple harmonic motion, x= Acos(wt+c) c=phi

but i'm just having problems with the second derivative of acceleration (d^2*x/dt^2) when it comes to integrating, I tried separating them into dv/dt and then dv/dx and dx/dt, so i obtain v, etc... but this complicates things even more for me!! It would be so great if someone could give me a hint as to where i can start in integrating with this second derivative....
    Thank you very much for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

The 2nd differential is often rearranged like this,

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

and you get that this way,

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{d}{dt}(dx/dt)=\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}v = v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

substitute for [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex] to [tex]v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] then do the integration.

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    Yes, i tried doing that, but then eventually i get stuck with
    (v^2)/2= (-k/m)(x^2)/2 + C
    Would i have to integrate again to obtain the general solution of
    x=Acos(wt+c)? What can i do with the v^2 and the x^2, and the negative k/m?

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

Your halfway there.
    From the initial conditions of the problem, work out a value for C.
    rewrite the eqn as v = whatever ...
    convert v to dx/dt and integrate agan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?