Integrating an Ellipse: Calculating the Width of a Melding Pillar and Roof

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of an equation for a semicircle or ellipse using elliptic integrals. The use of special functions and substitution is mentioned, along with the possibility of using numerical methods for solving the equation. The differences between solving for a circle and an ellipse are also discussed, and the conversation concludes with a description of the speaker's goal to calculate the width of a pillar using integration.
Mamed
Hi

Im trying to estimate a semicircle or ellips of a kind with an integral.
And right now I'm trying to get the integral of a ellips.

I need to integrate the equation

[itex]x(\theta)[/itex] = [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac {d\theta}{a\sqrt{1-sin^2(\theta)/b^2}}[/itex]

I tried http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=1/sqrt(1-sin^2(x)/b^2)&random=false" but i don't understand the result or how to integrate the result.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's one of the reasons elliptic integrals are called <special functions>, because they can't be written in terms of 'elementary' functions, such as polynomials, sin, cos, e^x, ln, sinh, cosh, ...The perimeter of an ellipse is an elliptic integral.

so there is no way for me to just but in the boundaries? i want to implement this in a MATLAB function, later on does it mean that i have to use a nummerical method to solve it then?

and what do you do if you if you have a circle is that also impossible to solve? because the only difference is the a and b constants.

The special function you want is already implemented in Matlab. It's called ellipke in Matlab.

The circle is ok. It's a standard integral solvable by a substitution.

I think i might have made a mistake when substituting.

I have
[itex]

\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1

[/itex]

And i substitute by

[itex]
y = sin(\theta)
x = cos(\theta)
[/itex]

So when i do the substitution should i include that [itex]dy = cos(\theta)d\theta [/itex] or can i just substitute
[itex]
x = \sqrt{a^2 + \frac{a^2}{b^2}y^2} → \sqrt{a^2 + \frac{a^2}{b^2}sin(\theta)^2}
[/itex]

and then integrate as [itex] x = \int_0^b\frac{dy}{f(y)} [/itex] or am i doing some big mistakes?

I think i might have made a mistake when substituting.

I have
[itex]

\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1

[/itex]

And i substitute by

[itex]
y = sin(\theta)
x = cos(\theta)
[/itex]

So when i do the substitution should i include that [itex]dy = cos(\theta)d\theta [/itex] or can i just substitute
[itex]
x = \sqrt{a^2 + \frac{a^2}{b^2}y^2} → \sqrt{a^2 + \frac{a^2}{b^2}sin(\theta)^2}
[/itex]

and then integrate as [itex] g = \int_0^b\frac{dy}{c-f(y)} [/itex]

where c is a fixed length and f(y) is the function x. or am i doing some big mistakes?

What i want to do is calculate the width of a pillar at the top as it is melding together with the roof. I assume that the arc is in the form of an ellipse so i have

c = the length of the pillar at the top.
b = the length between when the pillar starts curving to the roof
a = c - half of the pillar length

g = c - x(y)

and then integrate as 1/g.

and then multiple by to get the other side.

Related to Integrating an Ellipse: Calculating the Width of a Melding Pillar and Roof

1. What is the formula for finding the area of an ellipse?

The formula for finding the area of an ellipse is A = π * a * b, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

2. How do you integrate an ellipse?

To integrate an ellipse, you can use the substitution method or the trigonometric substitution method. Both methods involve changing the variables in the integral to make it easier to solve.

3. Can an ellipse be integrated using basic calculus techniques?

Yes, an ellipse can be integrated using basic calculus techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. However, depending on the specific form of the ellipse, more advanced techniques may be required.

4. Is there a general formula for integrating any ellipse?

No, there is no single formula for integrating any ellipse. The specific form of the ellipse and the chosen integration technique will determine the formula used.

5. Are there any real-life applications of integrating an ellipse?

Yes, integrating an ellipse is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the moment of inertia of an elliptical object or to model the trajectory of a satellite orbiting an elliptical path.