1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Current-Voltage Relationship for a Capacitor

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To find the voltage-current relationship of a capcitor, integrate both sides of
    i = C(dv/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution

In the book they say, v = (1/C)(The Integral from -tve infitity to t) of i dt.

or

v = (1/C)(The Integral from tnot to t) of i dt + v(tnot)

I am trying to understand why they integrated from negative infinity. Why not start the integration at 0. I also do not undersstand in the second equation where the + v(tnot) came from.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An ideal capacitor will store all the charge that's ever applied to it. What you call 0 time is arbitrary (it could be a certain date and time, or when you start taking data, or anything else)--but the capacitor voltage also reflects currents that flowed before that time, all the way back.

BTW, the subscript is "nought" which means zero, not "not".

V_t0 is the integration constant (look back at your calculus book for an indefinite integral). The capacitor might have started with a voltage on it before it was hooked into your circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?