Integrating $\int x\arctan(x)dx$ without Tables

• Thread starter bilalbajwa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about how to integrate a given function without using integration tables. One person suggests using integration by parts, while another person finds a method online that involves choosing different variables for integration.
bilalbajwa
Hi guys,
Can anybody tell me how to integrate
[tex]\int x\arctan(x) dx[/tex]

I have tried a lot. The condition is i don't want to use integration tables.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I need method to solve it!

OK i find that on internet. Thanks viewers.
http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~igc/tch/ma1002/int/node34.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I would first integrate arctanx by parts (u=arctanx, v'=1), and then integrate xarctanx by parts (u=x, v'=arctanx)

We can avoid the first integration by parts of arctan x by choosing u' = x and v = arctan x for integrating x arctan x

Related to Integrating $\int x\arctan(x)dx$ without Tables

1. How do I integrate $\int x\arctan(x)dx$ without using tables?

There are several methods for integrating this type of integral without using tables. One method is to use integration by parts, where you choose $u=\arctan(x)$ and $dv=x\,dx$. Another method is to use a substitution, where you let $u=\arctan(x)$ and $dx=\frac{du}{1+x^2}$. Both of these methods will eventually lead to an answer without the use of tables.

2. Can I use trigonometric identities to integrate $\int x\arctan(x)dx$?

Yes, you can use trigonometric identities to integrate this type of integral. One example is to use the identity $\arctan(x)=\frac{1}{2}i\ln\left(\frac{1+ix}{1-ix}\right)$, which can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. Is there a shortcut for integrating $\int x\arctan(x)dx$?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for integrating this type of integral. It requires some algebraic manipulation and knowledge of integration techniques in order to arrive at the answer. However, with practice and familiarity, the process can become easier and less time-consuming.

4. Can I use a computer program to integrate $\int x\arctan(x)dx$?

Yes, you can use a computer program or calculator to integrate this type of integral. However, it is still important to understand the steps and techniques involved in the integration process in order to verify the accuracy of the answer and be able to solve similar integrals in the future.

5. Are there any tips for integrating $\int x\arctan(x)dx$ without tables?

One helpful tip for integrating this type of integral is to pay attention to the symmetry of the integrand. Since $\arctan(x)$ is an odd function and $x$ is an even function, the product $x\arctan(x)$ is an odd function. This means that the integral will be symmetric about the origin, which can help simplify the integration process.