Integrating ln(x) for Finding Area

• Thread starter ekinnike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of integration of ln(x), which is a Calculus topic and should not be posted in the Precalculus section. The method of Integration by Parts is suggested, but the person asking for help has not learned it yet. They are advised to use Simpson's Rule instead, and also given the option of integrating over y instead of x. A helpful website for checking integration work is also recommended.
ekinnike
i can't find it anywhere. please help. i need to kno the inegration of lnx to find an area. please help thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration is a Calculus topic, and therefore, should not be posted in the Precalculus section. :smile:
Anyway, to integrate ln(x), we use Integration by Parts (have you covered Integration by Parts yet?), i.e:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]
We often use Integration by Parts, when no other methods can solve the integral.
So, we want to integrate this:
[tex]\int \ln (x) dx[/tex]
We then let u = ln(x), and dv = dx
So that implies du = dx / x, and v = x.
Substitute all those into the formula, we have:
[tex]\int \ln (x) dx = x \ln (x) - \int x \times \frac{dx}{x} = ...[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)

Likes H Smith 94
VietDao29 said:
Integration is a Calculus topic, and therefore, should not be posted in the Precalculus section. :smile:
Anyway, to integrate ln(x), we use Integration by Parts (have you covered Integration by Parts yet?), i.e:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]
We often use Integration by Parts, when no other methods can solve the integral.
So, we want to integrate this:
[tex]\int \ln (x) dx[/tex]
We then let u = ln(x), and dv = dx
So that implies du = dx / x, and v = x.
Substitute all those into the formula, we have:
[tex]\int \ln (x) dx = x \ln (x) - \int x \times \frac{dx}{x} = ...[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)
lol i didnt learn those yet. BUt I am glad it more complicated than it look. NO i can't do it. BUt i really appriciated the help. Instead i will try use simpsons rule. the question is area under the curve. 2day is monday-im at school school today so i quickly ask one of the mathematics teacher. =) i think he also hesitated say u can solve them by harder way but instead he told me simpson rule

Last edited:
It can be done without integration by parts. Try integrating over y instead of x, that is consider your graph to be x=exp(y).

You can't integrate ln(x) by parts!

u=lnx dv= dx
du= 1/x dx v=x

=xlnx-integral(1)dx
= xlnx-x+c

lnx using IBP:)

This site is great for checking your work when integrating:

http://integrals.wolfram.com

It will not give you fully worked out answers but it will give you the final answer. Of course, your teacher will want you to solve problems showing your work all the way through, but this is still a great site.

Related to Integrating ln(x) for Finding Area

1. What is the general rule for integrating ln(x)?

The general rule for integrating ln(x) is to use the property of logarithms, which states that ln(xy) = ln(x) + ln(y). This means that when integrating ln(x), you can break it down into the sum of two separate integrals.

2. Can I use u-substitution to integrate ln(x)?

Yes, you can use u-substitution to integrate ln(x), but you will also need to use the property of logarithms mentioned above. This will help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the integration formula for ln(x)?

The integration formula for ln(x) is ∫ ln(x) dx = xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula can be derived from the general rule for integrating ln(x) mentioned above.

4. Is there a specific method for integrating ln(x)?

Yes, there are multiple methods for integrating ln(x). Besides using u-substitution and the integration formula, you can also use integration by parts or partial fractions to solve for the integral.

5. Can I integrate ln(x) with a different base?

Yes, you can integrate ln(x) with a different base by using the change of base formula, which states that logb(x) = ln(x)/ln(b). This will convert the logarithm into a natural logarithm, which can then be integrated using the methods mentioned above.