Integrating Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution in One Dimension

In summary: Also, note that the limits of the integral should be from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty##, not from ##0## to ##\infty##.
Kara386

Homework Statement

I need to integrate
##\langle |v_x| \rangle = \int^{\infty}_0 |v_x| \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi kT}}e^{-mv_x^2/2kT}dv##
For context this is a Maxwell Boltzmann distribution in one dimension, and I've actually been asked to calculate ##\langle v_x \rangle## which is given by ##|v_x|f(v)## where ##f(v) = \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi kT}}e^{-mv_x^2/2kT}## is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution in the x-direction. Not sure if the question is best put in physics or maths.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused because since ##v_x## is always positive between infinity and zero (I think?) the integral is actually just ##\langle v_x \rangle##, since the mod can be ignored if it's always positive. That can't be it though, I've already been asked to calculate ##\langle v_x \rangle## in the first part of the same question. So I suppose my treatment of the mod must be wrong.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:

Homework Statement

I need to integrate
##\langle |v_x| \rangle = \int^{\infty}_0 |v_x| \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi kT}}e^{-mv_x^2/2kT}dv##
For context this is a Maxwell Boltzmann distribution in one dimension, and I've actually been asked to calculate ##\langle v_x \rangle## which is given by ##|v_x|f(v)## where ##f(v) = \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi kT}}e^{-mv_x^2/2kT}## is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution in the x-direction. Not sure if the question is best put in physics or maths.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused because since ##v_x## is always positive between infinity and zero (I think?) the integral is actually just ##\langle v_x \rangle##, since the mod can be ignored if it's always positive. That can't be it though, I've already been asked to calculate ##\langle v_x \rangle## in the first part of the same question. So I suppose my treatment of the mod must be wrong.

Thanks for any help!

What was your result for ##\langle v_x \rangle##?

Do you see why ##\langle v_x \rangle \neq \langle |v_x| \rangle##?

What slight (but important) error have you made in your expression for ## \langle |v_x| \rangle##?

Likes Kara386
Ray Vickson said:
What was your result for ##\langle v_x \rangle##?

Do you see why ##\langle v_x \rangle \neq \langle |v_x| \rangle##?

What slight (but important) error have you made in your expression for ## \langle |v_x| \rangle##?
Is the error related to the limits, by any chance? Should probably go to ##-\infty## and that would explain a lot.

Last edited:
Kara386 said:
Is the error related to the limits, by any chance? Should probably go to ##-\infty## and that would explain a lot.

Try it, to see what you get.

Anyway, what is your answer to my question about ##\langle v_x \rangle##?

Likes Kara386
Ray Vickson said:
Try it, to see what you get.

Anyway, what is your answer to my question about ##\langle v_x \rangle##?
It is the limits, velocity can be negative, I'd been working with speed in 3D so only needed to integrate ##\infty## to zero. Didn't read the question carefully so missed that we had moved to velocity distribution. As to ##\langle v_x \rangle##, I have that equal to zero.

Kara386 said:
It is the limits, velocity can be negative, I'd been working with speed in 3D so only needed to integrate ##\infty## to zero. Didn't read the question carefully so missed that we had moved to velocity distribution. As to ##\langle v_x \rangle##, I have that equal to zero.

Right: ##\langle v_x \rangle = 0##, and this follows immediately (with essentially no work) from the fact that ##f(v_x)## is an even function of ##v_x##, so ##v_x f(v_x)## is an odd function. In contrast, ##|v_x| f(v_x)## is an even function of ##v_x##, so its integral over the whole line can be easily related to its integral over the half-line ##\{ v_x \geq 0 \}##.

1. What is the purpose of the mod function?

The mod function, short for modulo, is used to find the remainder when two numbers are divided. It is often used in mathematical and programming calculations.

2. How do you use the mod function in programming?

The syntax for using the mod function in programming varies depending on the language, but it typically follows the format "mod(a, b)" where a is the dividend and b is the divisor. The result of the mod function is the remainder from a divided by b.

3. Can the mod function be used with non-integer numbers?

Yes, the mod function can be used with non-integer numbers. In most programming languages, the mod function will return a decimal or floating-point value as the remainder.

4. What are some real-world applications of the mod function?

The mod function has various applications in fields such as cryptography, computer graphics, and signal processing. It can also be used to solve problems in number theory and game theory.

5. Are there any potential issues when using the mod function?

One potential issue when using the mod function is that it can lead to incorrect results if the divisor is zero. Additionally, some programming languages may have different results for negative numbers, so it is important to understand the specific implementation in your chosen language.