Integrating Polar Equations: Online Resources

In summary, integrating polar equations can be done by finding the antiderivative and evaluating at the limits of integration, just like in rectangular coordinates. However, when finding the area in polar coordinates, the formula for the area is dA = r dr dθ, and the Jacobian of the transformation from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates is r. To integrate an integrand in polar coordinates, it must first be transformed into polar coordinates and then multiplied by the Jacobian.
Moose352
Can anyone point me to some online resources on how to integrate polar equations? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "polar equations"??

Daniel.

Aren't we online here?
What's your problem; could you post an example?

In rectangular coordinates, to integrate the function f from a to b, you find the antiderivative at a and subtract it from the antiderivative at b. Is there a similar definition to find the integral of a function that is defined in polar coordinates without converting to rectangular coordinates? For example, how would I integrate r = t^2 from t = 0 to t = 2pi?

I don't know,applying the fundamental theorem of calculus,maybe?? :uhh:

Daniel.

[tex]A=\int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \frac{1}{2}r^{2}\,d\theta[/tex]

for [itex]r=f(\theta)[/itex]. I'm assuming the problem was with finding the area and not the actual process of integration, which is the same as cartesian.

The fundamental theorem of calculus?? How would that work to find the area of a polar equation? In any case, I made some stuff up and I think I got it. Thanks for the help.

Oops, me and Sirus posted at the same time. Thats the same formula I got. Thanks again.

IF you are concerned with finding area in polar coordinates, then you have to remember that dArea= r dr dθ rather than the simple dxdy of Cartesian coordinates.
HOWEVER, once you have the integral set up, the actual integration is exactly the same: find an anti-derivative and evaluate at the limits of integration.

HallsofIvy said:
IF you are concerned with finding area in polar coordinates, then you have to remember that dArea= r dr dθ rather than the simple dxdy of Cartesian coordinates.
HOWEVER, once you have the integral set up, the actual integration is exactly the same: find an anti-derivative and evaluate at the limits of integration.

I probably missed this, but don't you also have to express the integrand in polar coordinates as well as find the jacobian?

Chrono said:
I probably missed this, but don't you also have to express the integrand in polar coordinates as well as find the jacobian?
He did. The Jacobian of the transformation from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates is r.

hypermorphism said:
He did. The Jacobian of the transformation from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates is r.

It's actually the other way around.What do you make of this
[tex] J = |\frac{\partial (x,y)}{\partial (\rho,\phi)}|=...=r [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's actually the other way around.What do you make of this
[tex] J = |\frac{\partial (x,y)}{\partial (\rho,\phi)}|=...=r [/tex]

Daniel.
That is the Jacobian I was referring to, as it implies x and y are functions of r and theta. ;) The derivation in modern terms would be as follows:
x = r cos [tex]\theta[/tex]
y = r sin [tex]\theta[/tex]
gives the transformation from polar coordinates into Cartesian coordinates. We use this one because we want to find [tex]dx\wedge dy[/tex] in terms of the "old" coordinates r and theta:
[tex]dx \wedge dy &= (\cos\theta dr - r\sin\theta d\theta)\wedge(\sin\theta dr + r\cos\theta d\theta)\\
&= r(\cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta) dr\wedge d\theta\\
&= r dr\wedge d\theta\\
[/tex]
Say you have a linear change of coordinates, u=2x, v=2y. The determinant of this forwards transformation tells us that a 2-volume of 1 in xy-space is transformed into a 2-volume of 4 in uv-space with respect to uv-coordinates (Lay the coordinate grids on top of each other).
Then a 2-volume of 1 in uv-space corresponds to a 2-volume of 1/4 with respect to the xy-space (The square formed by (1,0) and (0,1) becomes the square formed by (1/2,0) and (0, 1/2)). If you were integrating in uv-space over uv-coordinates, you would multiply by a factor of 1/4 in order to get the 2-volume with respect to xy-space. This is the determinant of the backwards transformation from uv-space into xy-space. The generalization to nonlinear coordinates is clear, as the determinant is then integrated if it is not constant.

Last edited:
hypermorphism said:

I stressed out the fact that the Jacobian i gave (and with which u agreed) (namely "r") is not the jacobian of the transformation from polar ----> cartesian,but from cartesian -------->polar...That's what i meant by "It's actually the other way around"...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I stressed out the fact that the Jacobian i gave (and with which u agreed) (namely "r") is not the jacobian of the transformation from polar ----> cartesian,but from cartesian -------->polar...That's what i meant by "It's actually the other way around"...

Daniel.

In my post I showed that it is the Jacobian of the transformation from polar coordinates into Cartesian that you gave and gave the motivation for that machinery. :)
T(r, t) = (r*cos(t), r*sin(t)) = (x,y) is a map from polar coordinates (r,t) into Cartesian (x,y). The Jacobian of this transformation is your Jacobian using the partials of x and y with respect to r and t.
On the other hand, the transformation from Cartesian to polar coordinates is
[tex]
T(x,y) = (\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}, \arctan(\frac{y}{x})) = (r, \theta )
[/tex]
whose Jacobian is
[tex]
\frac{x^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} + \frac{y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^\frac{3}{2}}\\
= \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} = \frac{1}{r}
[/tex]
as predicted by the previous post.

hypermorphism said:

Actually, I was suggesting that [tex]r drd\theta[/tex] is the jacobian. And that you need to transform the integrand itself into polar coordinates.

Chrono said:
Actually, I was suggesting that [tex]r drd\theta[/tex] is the jacobian. And that you need to transform the integrand itself into polar coordinates.
Hi Chrono,
This may just be the terminology I've been exposed to, but in the studies I've done, the Jacobian is defined as the determinant of the Jacobian matrix, which is just r. The term [tex]r dr\wedge d\theta[/tex] is the pullback of the volume form of the transformation, which can be simplified to being just the new volume form scaled by the Jacobian. I can see taking the whole thing to be the Jacobian, though, by de-emphasizing the matrix and using only exterior algebra to define the Jacobian.

hypermorphism said:
Hi Chrono,
This may just be the terminology I've been exposed to, but in the studies I've done, the Jacobian is defined as the determinant of the Jacobian matrix, which is just r. The term [tex]r dr\wedge d\theta[/tex] is the pullback of the volume form of the transformation, which can be simplified to being just the new volume form scaled by the Jacobian. I can see taking the whole thing to be the Jacobian, though, by de-emphasizing the matrix and using only exterior algebra to define the Jacobian.

You may be right. I was told by my professor in class that what I had said before was the jacobian.

Well,your professor was obviously wrong.Knowing that this was a pretty simple thing and yet he screwed it up,i advise you to keep an eye out,because a lot more mistakes are about to come up...
Just for our entertainment,please come and share them with us... :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What are polar equations and why are they important?

Polar equations are mathematical equations that describe curves and shapes in two-dimensional polar coordinates, where the position of a point is determined by its distance from the origin and its angle from a fixed reference line. They are important because they can be used to model and understand complex geometric shapes, such as circles, spirals, and cardioids.

2. How do you convert a polar equation to rectangular coordinates?

To convert a polar equation to rectangular coordinates, you can use the following formulas:x = r * cos(theta)y = r * sin(theta)where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle from the reference line. These formulas can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry.

3. What is the process for graphing polar equations?

To graph a polar equation, you can follow these steps:1) Plot points by substituting different values for theta into the equation.2) Connect the points to create a smooth curve.3) Identify any symmetries or special features of the graph, such as symmetry about the origin or a vertical line.

4. Can polar equations be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, polar equations can be used to model real-world phenomena, such as the motion of planets in orbit, the shape of a hurricane, or the growth of a snail's shell. These equations can also be used in engineering and physics to describe the behavior of physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar equations?

One limitation of polar equations is that they can only describe shapes in two dimensions. They also have a limited range of applicability compared to rectangular coordinates, as they cannot accurately represent vertical or horizontal lines. Additionally, some equations may be more difficult to graph in polar coordinates compared to rectangular coordinates.