Integrating the Cartesian form of Coulomb's law

In summary, the potential energy between two opposite charges (a dipole) can be calculated using the integrals \begin{align*} U&=\int\mathbf{F}d\mathbf{r}=-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{1}{\mathbf{r^{2}}}d\mathbf{r}\\ &=\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r} \end{align*} and \begin{align*} F&=\frac{qQ}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\
haaj86
Hi, I want to calculate the potential energy between two opposite charges (a dipole) and I know how to integrate Coulomb’s law in the polar form, i.e. in terms of “r”

[tex]\[
U=\int\mathbf{F}d\mathbf{r}=-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{1}{\mathbf{r^{2}}}d\mathbf{r}=\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r}\][/tex]

But I want to know how to integrate it when it’s in the Cartesian form i.e.

[tex]\[
F(x,y,z)=\frac{qQ}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{\frac{3}{2}}}\left(\begin{array}{c}
x\\
y\\
z\end{array}\right)\][/tex]

Please I need this urgently, and I’m more interested on how to do the integral because I need this for a much more complicated problem that involves moving charges but if I can’t do it for the stationary charges then I can’t do it for that problem. Please I don’t want anybody to suggest integrating the force in the polar form and then changing the variables to Cartesian because as I said I need to know how to do the integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly where are you stuck? Can you expand the dot product [itex]\vec F \cdot d \vec r[/itex] in Cartesian coordinates?

Thanks jtbell, good hint, I stupidly forgot that it's a dot product.
But I have another problem now and this is what I got
[tex]\[
U=\int\mathbf{F}.\mathbf{dr}\]
and in the cartesian form we have \[
\mathbf{r}=x\mathbf{\hat{x}}+y\mathbf{\hat{y}}+z\mathbf{\hat{z}}\][/tex]
[tex]\[
\mathbf{\hat{r}}=\frac{x\mathbf{\hat{x}}+y\mathbf{\hat{y}}+z\mathbf{\hat{z}}}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{1/2}}\][/tex]
[tex]\[
d\mathbf{r}=dx\mathbf{\hat{x}}+dy\mathbf{\hat{y}}+dz\mathbf{\hat{z}}\]
Therefore \[
U=-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{1}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{3/2}}(x\mathbf{\hat{x}}+y\mathbf{\hat{y}}+z\mathbf{\hat{z}}).(dx\mathbf{\hat{x}}+dy\mathbf{\hat{y}}+dz\mathbf{\hat{z}})\][/tex]
[tex]\[
U=-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\{\int\frac{xdx}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{3/2}}+\int\frac{ydy}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{3/2}}+\int\frac{zdz}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{3/2}}\}\][/tex]
[tex]\[
U=-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\{-\frac{1}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{1/2}}-\frac{1}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{1/2}}-\frac{1}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{1/2}}\}\][/tex]
[tex]\[
U=\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{3}{[x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}]^{1/2}}=\frac{3e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r}\][/tex]

So there is an extra 3 in comparison with polar form shown in my first post.

Where did I go wrong?

This is a path integral:

[tex]U = - \int_{{\vec r}_0}^{\vec r_{final}}{\vec F \cdot d \vec r}[/tex]

so you have to pick a starting point [itex]{\vec r}_0[/itex] at infinity, then set up a path from that point to the point where you want the potential energy. (Imagine holding one charge fixed at the origin and moving the other charge in from infinity along that path.) Then integrate along that path.

You're using Cartesian coordinates, so path integrals are easier to do if they're made of segments along or parallel to the x, y and z axes.

For example, you could start at [itex](x, y, z) = (+\infty, 0, 0)[/itex] and set up a path to [itex](x_{final}, y_{final}, z_{final})[/itex] with three straight-line segments. You pick the segments!

Simply integrating the x, y and z integrals from [itex]\infty[/itex] to [itex]x_{final}[/itex], [itex]\infty[/itex] to [itex]y_{final}[/itex], and [itex]\infty[/itex] to [itex]z_{final}[/itex] respectively, doesn't define a proper path. I've been groping unsuccesfully for a way to put the reason why into words...

not so much as a thank you?

What is the Cartesian form of Coulomb's law?

The Cartesian form of Coulomb's law is an equation that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It is expressed as F = k(Q1Q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

How is the Cartesian form of Coulomb's law different from the vector form?

The Cartesian form of Coulomb's law is a scalar equation, meaning it only considers the magnitude of the force between two charged particles. The vector form, on the other hand, takes into account the direction of the force as well. It is expressed as F = k(Q1Q2)/r^2 * r̂, where r̂ is the unit vector in the direction of the force.

What is the significance of the Coulomb's constant in the Cartesian form of Coulomb's law?

The Coulomb's constant, denoted as k, is a proportionality constant that relates the strength of the electrostatic force to the charges and distance between two charged particles. Its value is approximately 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

Can the Cartesian form of Coulomb's law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged particles?

Yes, the Cartesian form of Coulomb's law can be used to calculate the net electrostatic force on a charged particle due to multiple other charged particles. This is done by summing up the individual forces between the particle and each of the other charged particles.

How is the Cartesian form of Coulomb's law used in practical applications?

The Cartesian form of Coulomb's law is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, the study of atomic and molecular interactions, and the development of new technologies like touch screens and photocopiers. It is also used in the field of electrostatics to understand and manipulate the behavior of electric charges.