Integrating the delta function

In summary: This is a great summary. In summary, the student is trying to find the value of the integral between 0 and pi, but they are having trouble figuring out how to proceed. The substitution they are using (u=cosx) results in an equation in which they integrate over the original variable, dx. However, they need this equation to be independent of x, but x=cos^-1(u). Changing the limits of the integral results in the student getting the correct answer.
captainjack2000

Homework Statement

By using the substitution u=cosx obtain the value of the integral
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex](cosx-1/2)dx between 0 and pi

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to go any further with this apart from substituting in for u!?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the integral you get after doing the substitution?

So, make the substitution! We can't help you if you don't do (or show) your work.

Sorry, I realize my post was very specific. To be perfectly honest I don't really know where to start. I know that the delta function is defined as
[tex]\delta[/tex](x-a)=o if x[tex]\neq[/tex]a and tends to infinity is x=a
shifting property
[tex]\int[/tex]dx[tex]\delta[/tex](x-a)f(x) = f(a) where the integral is over all space.

In this case
I=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex](cosx-0.5)dx where the integral is between zero and pi
=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex](u-0.5)dx letting u=cosx

not sure how to proceed

You're substituting, yet after the substitution you integrate over the original variable,dx? Execute the substitution correctly first. Also put the entire expression between [tex] brackets it saves you time and is a lot neater.

You still have dx in your integral. Write everything in terms of u and du. Don't forget to change the limits of the integral too.

Ok...(my brain is obviously not working right now!)
if u=cosx
du=-sinxdx
dx=-du/sinx
but you need this independent of x? but x=cos^-1(u) ??

changing the limits:
when x=0 u=1 and when x=pi u=-1

You can write sin x = √(1 - u2). So the integral becomes

[tex] -\int_{1}^{-1} \delta(u - 1/2) \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}du [/tex]

To see that [itex]\sin \arccos u =\sqrt{1-u^2}[/itex] use [itex]\cos^2x+\sin^2x=1[/itex] or use a triangle.

Last edited:
Cyosis said:
To see that [itex]\sin \arccos u =\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/itex] use [itex]\cos^2x+\sin^2x=1[/itex] or use a triangle.

You mean

[tex] \sin \cos^{-1} u = \sqrt{1-u^2} [/tex].

Yes I do thanks for pointing it out, it's fixed now.

thank you that clarifies it alot!
Therefore the solution is going to be -1/(1-1/4)^0.5 = 1/(3/4)^0.5 = 2/sqrt(3) ?

Yep, that's correct.

Your final answer is correct, but you had a minus sign in your first expression which shouldn't be there.

thank you !

Question 1: What is the definition of the delta function?

The delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at x = 0, where it is infinite, and has an integral of 1 over the entire real line. In other words, it is a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin and has a unit area under its curve.

Question 2: What is the physical interpretation of the delta function?

The delta function can be thought of as a representation of a point charge or point mass in physics. It is used to describe the concentration of mass or electric charge at a specific point in space.

Question 3: How is the delta function used in integration?

The delta function is used as a tool for integration, particularly in cases where there is a singularity or a discontinuity in the function being integrated. It allows us to evaluate integrals involving functions that are not defined at certain points, such as at the origin.

Question 4: What are the properties of the delta function?

The delta function has several important properties, including linearity, scaling, and shifting. It also follows the sifting property, which states that when the delta function is integrated with another function, it picks out the value of the function at the point where the delta function is located.

Question 5: How is the delta function used in solving differential equations?

The delta function can be used to model impulsive forces or point sources in differential equations. It allows us to represent these forces or sources in a mathematical form, making it easier to solve the differential equation using traditional methods.