Integrating (using partial fractions) Apostol Section 6.25 #25

In summary: So I'll just leave it as an equation to try and solve for f myself.In summary, WolframAlpha says that the function f(x) is of the form f(x) = ax + b and that the equation for f is f(x) = ax + b.
process91

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{4x^5-1}{(x^5+x+1)^2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is in the section on Partial Fractions. The main idea in this section was that you get the integral down to a sum integrals of the following forms:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{(x+a)^n} , \int \frac{x dx}{(x^2 + bx + c)^m} , \int \frac{dx}{(x^2+bx+c)^m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The basic approach for most of these was to just use partial fractions by factoring the denominator and algebraically breaking down the result. I factored the denominator to

[tex]\left(x^2+x+1\right)^2\left(x^3-x^2+1\right)^2[/tex]

The term on the right could be factored again, but it doesn't look promising.

I sense I should be using a different approach with this problem, but I'm not sure what.

Please just give me a hint, if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uuh, here's a way to solve it without using partial fractions. Try to write
[tex]\frac{4x^5-1}{(x^5+x+1)^2}[/tex]

in the form of

[tex]\frac{f^\prime g-g^\prime f}{g^2}[/tex]

Try to determine f here.

But how to do it with partial fractions?? Well, the only way I see is to write

[tex]x^3-x^2+1=(x+\alpha)(x^2-\frac{x}{\alpha^2}+\frac{1}{\alpha})[/tex]

and proceed formally. The hope is that the [itex]\alpha[/itex] will cancel itself in the end (which it will here). But this is likely to become very difficult.

The quotient rule idea is what I came to after seeing the answer, and after I saw it I couldn't un-see it. Many of the other problems in this section have been extremely cumbersome arithmetically for me, so it's very possible that the [itex]\alpha[/itex] method would be what Apostol had in mind.

micromass said:
Uuh, here's a way to solve it without using partial fractions. Try to write
[tex]\frac{4x^5-1}{(x^5+x+1)^2}[/tex]

in the form of

[tex]\frac{f^\prime g-g^\prime f}{g^2}[/tex]

Try to determine f here.
It makes sense to assume that f(x) is a polynomial & of course g(x) = x5 + x + 1. After some consideration you can convince yourself that f(x) is of the form, f(x) = ax + b.

WolframAlpha gets the surprisingly uncomplicated answer, but I couldn't get it to show the steps.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in calculus to simplify a rational function by breaking it down into smaller, simpler fractions. This is useful for integration because it allows us to integrate each fraction separately, making the overall integration process easier.

2. How do you determine the partial fractions of a rational function?

To determine the partial fractions of a rational function, we first need to factor the denominator into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, for each unique factor, we set up an equation with unknown coefficients and solve for those coefficients using algebraic methods.

3. Can all rational functions be integrated using partial fractions?

Yes, all rational functions can be integrated using partial fractions. However, the process may become more complex if the denominator has repeated or complex factors.

4. What is the purpose of integrating using partial fractions?

The purpose of integrating using partial fractions is to simplify the integration process and make it more manageable. By breaking down a rational function into smaller fractions, we can integrate each individual fraction and then combine the results to obtain the overall integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions for integration?

One limitation of using partial fractions for integration is that it only applies to rational functions. Other integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, may be needed for other types of functions. Additionally, the process can become more complicated for rational functions with higher degree polynomials in the numerator and denominator.