Integrating (x2-5)1/2: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter gaobo9109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the student has trouble integrating (x2-5)1/2. They try substitution, integration by part, and none of them seem to work. They tried the cosh substitution and found that it worked, but then they got stuck because they forgot to include the sqrt sign. I told them to look at the method I recommended in reply #4 and they were able to solve it in just a few lines.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

How to you integrate (x2-5)1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried substitution, integration by part, and none seems to work. I really don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
make a substitution:

[tex] x=\sqrt{5} \cosh t [/tex]

How did you get this substitution? Hyperbolic function is not in my school syllabus. Is there any other form of substitution to to solve this question?

gaobo9109 said:
How did you get this substitution? Hyperbolic function is not in my school syllabus. Is there any other form of substitution to to solve this question?

Well the cosh substitution is the easiest way, but you can also attack it as follows.

Rearrange the integrand as :

[tex] I = \int \frac{x^2-5}{\sqrt{x^2-5}}\, dx[/tex]

Split into two parts :

[tex] I = \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2-5}} \, dx - \int \frac{5}{\sqrt{x^2-5}} \, dx[/tex]

You should be able to evaluate the second part by use of "standard integrals" and if you carefully apply integration by parts to the first integral you can reduce it to an expression minus "I" (where "I" is the original integral).

This let's you get it into the form of : "I = expression - I". Then you just solve that algebraically.

I know that's only an outline, but it does work! See how far you can get with it.

Last edited:
You can use the connection between the hyperbolic and the circular trigonometric functions and make other changes of variable to your integral.

[tex] I= \int \sqrt{x^2 -5} \, dx = \int \sqrt{x^2 +(i\sqrt{5})^2} \, dx \, , \, \forall x>\sqrt{5} [/tex]

Now you can make the substitution

[tex] x= i\sqrt{5} \tan t [/tex]

However, the road is pretty tough. The hyperbolic function shortens a lot of calculations.

Or you could try u = √(5)secx

Bohrok said:
Or you could try u = √(5)secx

Would you care to elaborate on how that works Bohrok?

use x = root5 sectheta...
i've solved it...works like a dream!...

rahuld.exe said:
use x = root5 sectheta...
i've solved it...works like a dream!...

Ok so that substitution leads to :

[tex] 5 \, \int \frac{\sin^2(\theta)}{\cos^3(\theta)} \, d \theta[/tex]

Where did you go from there?

yeah now
5[tex]
\int tan\theta tan\theta sec\theta d\theta
[/tex]
put t = [tex] sec\theta [/tex]
therefore dt = [tex] sec\theta tan\theta d\theta [/tex]
draw a right angled triangle... using t = [tex] sec\theta[/tex].. you'll get value of two sides... find the value of the third side by pythagoras theorem... that way now you can find [tex] tan\theta [/tex]put the value of [tex] tan\theta [/tex] and dt in the integrand... solve !

Last edited:
rahuld.exe said:
yeah now
5[tex]
\int tan\theta tan\theta sec\theta d\theta
[/tex]
put t = [tex] sec\theta [/tex]
therefore dt = [tex] sec\theta tan\theta d\theta [/tex]
draw a right angled triangle... using t = [tex] sec\theta[/tex].. you'll get value of two sides... find the value of the third side by pythagoras theorem... that way now you can find [tex] tan\theta [/tex]put the value of [tex] tan\theta [/tex] and dt in the integrand... solve !

Is that meant to be a joke? It obviously leads you around in a big circle back to the original integral.

Look there were two perfectly good methods presented to solve this in replies #2 and #4. Enough of the junk replies please.

sorry i had made a mistake... i forgot the root sign... but i think this time i got it correct..
could you please check it for me...
PS: moderators... i m not posting the solution... i am actually checking if what I've done is correct...

http://img831.imageshack.us/i/p1010910lr.jpg/

rahuld.exe said:
sorry i had made a mistake... i forgot the root sign... but i think this time i got it correct..
could you please check it for me...
PS: moderators... i m not posting the solution... i am actually checking if what I've done is correct...

http://img831.imageshack.us/i/p1010910lr.jpg/

Hi rahuld.exe. Yes that still has an error, in the triangle you forgot the sqrt sign.

Where you got [itex]\sec(\theta) = t^2 + 1[/itex] it should have been [itex]\sec(\theta) = \sqrt{(t^2 + 1)}[/itex]. So you still end up with a difficult integral.

PS. Sorry if I was rude with the previous reply but I wasn't sure whether or not your effort was serious. Now I see you are making a genuine effort, the difficulty is just that the original [itex]x=\sqrt{5} \sec(\theta)[/tex] substitution isn't all that useful and that's what's making it hard for you to proceed with that method.

Take a look at the method I recommended in reply #4, you'll get it out in a just a few lines! In that method use the following "standard integral",

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-a^2}} \, dx = \log_e(x + \sqrt{x^2 - a^2 })[/tex]

BTW The LHS above is actually inverse_cosh (hence the connection to bigubau's method). But most standard integral tables give it in the logarithmic form above, so we can keep completely clear of the hyperbolics with this method.

Last edited:
One last hint re the method of reply #4. Where "integration by parts" is called for use :

[tex] \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^2-5}} \, dx = \int x \, \frac{d}{dx}\left\{\sqrt{x^2-5}\right\} \, dx [/tex]

hey... i am new to integration so am not that good at it... i got it with your method and hint.. thanks !

1. What is the purpose of integrating (x2-5)1/2?

The purpose of integrating (x2-5)1/2 is to find the area under the curve of the function (x2-5)1/2, also known as the antiderivative or indefinite integral. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the steps involved in integrating (x2-5)1/2?

The steps involved in integrating (x2-5)1/2 are as follows:1. Rewrite the expression as √(x2-5)2. Use the power rule for integration to find the antiderivative3. Substitute the limits of integration into the antiderivative4. Evaluate the antiderivative at the upper and lower limits5. Subtract the lower limit from the upper limit to find the final answer.

3. What is the power rule for integration?

The power rule for integration states that the antiderivative of xn is (xn+1)/(n+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration. In other words, to integrate a power function, add 1 to the exponent, divide by the new exponent, and add a constant.

4. Is it necessary to rewrite (x2-5)1/2 before integrating?

Yes, it is necessary to rewrite (x2-5)1/2 as √(x2-5) before integrating because the power rule for integration only applies to functions with a power of x. By rewriting the expression, we can use the power rule to find the antiderivative.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating (x2-5)1/2?

Integrating (x2-5)1/2 has many real-life applications, including finding the displacement of an object under the influence of gravity, calculating the work done by a variable force, and determining the area under a curve in economics to find the total revenue or profit. It is also used in signal processing and image reconstruction.