Integration and differntial calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding integration and differential calculus function in real life and its usefulness in solving physics problems. The speaker suggests that the reason for this difficulty could be a lack of exposure to practical applications of these concepts. An example of an application is given, where integration is used to calculate impulse in physics problems. This is derived from Newtonian mechanics and there are more examples of how calculus is related to mechanics.
Sudip Pradhan
Is there anyway to understand the integration and differential calculus function logically? I've been doing the sort of integration and calculus since I was 11 class...now I am in Bachelors but I cannot understand how this Integration and Calculus works in real life. Some says its very much useful in physics problem. But still how does it works in physics problems? Can anyone give me example related to that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your discussion is difficult to understand. Bachelor's degree in Mathematics (or is yours in something else?) means you studied beyond differentiation and integration, including beyond multivariable Calculus. You WILL HAVE seen and solved many application problems or exercises. You were not restricted to just theoretical and symbolic exercises. You WERE required to have some courses in mathematically related subjects, like Physics, or Engineering, or Chemistry,... courses which rely on the use of Calculus and Algebra. On the other hand, this difficulty to understand could be due to a cultural difference. Students who earn a degree in a natural science or engineering also study certain Mathematics courses as required to developing their competence in their chosen field/major. These are typically, at a minimum, Trigonometry, three semesters of Calculus (through multi-variable), and often one or two more courses (statistics, differential equations, linear algebra, maybe some combo course, ...).

An example in physics that uses integration is impulse [tex]J=\int_{\Delta t} F dt[/tex].

So, what does this really mean? It means we want to know how Force (F) behaves over an interval (Δt). But we want to be able to see how it behaves at ALL (i think i need to stress that) times, so the way we can present this mathematically is the integral AKA a continuous sum!

This comes from Newtonian mechanics, and you find more examples relating calculus and mechanics.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between integration and differential calculus?

Integration and differential calculus are two branches of calculus that are closely related. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change, while integration deals with the process of finding the area under a curve.

2. What is the purpose of integration and differential calculus?

The main purpose of integration and differential calculus is to solve problems involving rates of change and finding the area under curves. They are also used to model and analyze real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

3. What are some real-life applications of integration and differential calculus?

Some real-life applications of integration and differential calculus include optimizing business profits, predicting population growth, analyzing stock market trends, designing structures and machines, and modeling natural phenomena like weather patterns.

4. What are the basic concepts of integration and differential calculus?

The basic concepts of integration include the definite and indefinite integrals, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The basic concepts of differential calculus include derivatives, rates of change, and optimization.

5. What are some common misconceptions about integration and differential calculus?

Some common misconceptions about integration and differential calculus include the belief that they are only used in advanced mathematics or that they are too difficult to understand. In reality, they have many practical applications and can be understood with proper guidance and practice.