Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration and differntial calculus

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    Is there anyway to understand the integration and differential calculus function logically? I've been doing the sort of integration and calculus since I was 11 class...now I am in Bachelors but I cannot understand how this Integration and Calculus works in real life. Some says its very much useful in physics problem. But still how does it works in physics problems? Can anyone give me example related to that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your discussion is difficult to understand. Bachelor's degree in Mathematics (or is yours in something else?) means you studied beyond differentiation and integration, including beyond multivariable Calculus. You WILL HAVE seen and solved many application problems or exercises. You were not restricted to just theoretical and symbolic exercises. You WERE required to have some courses in mathematically related subjects, like Physics, or Engineering, or Chemistry,... courses which rely on the use of Calculus and Algebra. On the other hand, this difficulty to understand could be due to a cultural difference. Students who earn a degree in a natural science or engineering also study certain Mathematics courses as required to developing their competence in their chosen field/major. These are typically, at a minimum, Trigonometry, three semesters of Calculus (through multi-variable), and often one or two more courses (statistics, differential equations, linear algebra, maybe some combo course, ...).

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3
    An example in physics that uses integration is impulse [tex]J=\int_{\Delta t} F dt[/tex].

So, what does this really mean? It means we want to know how Force (F) behaves over an interval (Δt). But we want to be able to see how it behaves at ALL (i think i need to stress that) times, so the way we can present this mathematically is the integral AKA a continuous sum!

This comes from newtonian mechanics, and you find more examples relating calculus and mechanics.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook