1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Parts: Int: x*arctan(x) dx

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    Because of circumstance (my desire to graduate in 5 years or less), I've been forced to attempt Calc 2 in 2 months time online over the summer. About 75% of it is going smoothly (compared with 105% or so of Calc 1).

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm to solve the indefinite integral: [tex]\int[/tex] x * arctan(x) dx

2. Relevant equations
    Integration by parts is done using: [tex]\int[/tex]u dv = uv - [tex]\int[/tex]v du

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems pretty obvious that u = arctan(x) and that dv = x. From this, du = [tex]\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex] dx and v = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x2.

Using the integration by parts formula:

[tex]\int[/tex] x * arctan(x) dx = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x2arctan(x) - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x^2}{1 + x^2}[/tex]dx

Now integration by parts must be used again. It seems obvious to select u = x2, dv = [tex]\frac{1}{1 + x^2}[/tex]. du = 2xdx, dv = arctan(x).

[tex]\int[/tex] x * arctan(x) dx = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]x2arctan(x) - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] ( x2arctan(x) - 2 [tex]\int[/tex]xarctan(x) ).

Simplified:

[tex]\int[/tex] x * arctan(x) dx = 0 + [tex]\int[/tex] x * arctan(x) dx.

While this is very true, it doesn't help me find the integral. Switching my u and dv in either use of the integration by parts formula hasn't yielded a solution for me in my attempts yet. Thank you in advance for your help :smile:.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^2+1}=\frac{x^2+1 -1}{x^2+1}=1-\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/tex]

4. May 27, 2009 #3
    You are my Bokonon, only you tell truths.

5. May 27, 2009 #4
    Thank you, in other words.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook