Integration by parts question.

In summary, the conversation was about a question on integration by parts and how the formula ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu is used. The question specifically asked about the effect of a coefficient, 1/2, on the integration by parts formula. It was explained that the formula can be applied to the entire equation, resulting in (1/2) ∫udv = (1/2)[uv - ∫vdu]. It was also mentioned that integration by parts is not a separate concept, but rather a result of the product rule for differentiation.
braceman
Hi guys,

Stuck on an integration by parts question...Not going to post the question as I want to work it out myself, but as I'm a bit of a novice on diff/integration I'm stuck on what we do at a certain step of the process...anyway..

I know integration by parts we end up using ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu

where obviously we assign u,v,du,dv as parts of our equation..

Now what I'm stuck on is what happens if we have say 1/2 ∫ udv = uv - ∫vdu

how does the 1/2 effect how it's processed?

does it end up as

1/2 ∫ udv = uv - 1/2∫vdu

or something like

1/2 ∫ udv = 1/2 uv - 1/2∫vdu

Anyone able to explain (reasonably simply) how it ends up and why??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first ask yourself:
Where does the integration by parts formula come from in the first place?
Why is it correct?

This...
braceman said:
1/2 ∫ udv = 1/2 uv - 1/2∫vdu

It's pretty simple. Since ∫ udv = uv - ∫vdu, then (1/2) ∫ udv = (1/2)[uv - ∫ vdu]

To elaborate on what arildno said:

"Integration by parts" isn't really its own concept. (It's always mystified me why every calculus class teaches it as its own thing... and the same goes for substitution). Our only technique for analytically integrating things is to find anti-derivatives.
- You know the product rule for differentiation. If you take an integral of both sides, you get something familiar (what some people call "integration by parts").
- You know the chain rule for differentiation. If you take an integral of both sides, you get something familiar (what some people call "substitution").

So these rules are nothing new.

Cool...pretty obvious when re-thinking about it, but I just wanted to check..thanks for the replies guys.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of functions. It involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using the product rule of differentiation to simplify the integral.

When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, or when the integral cannot be solved by other methods such as substitution or partial fractions.

How do you perform integration by parts?

To perform integration by parts, you first need to identify which function will be the u-function and which will be the dv-function. Then, you use the formula u*dv = v*du to simplify the integral. Finally, you integrate the new simplified integral and solve for the original integral.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u*dv = uv - ∫v*du, where u is the u-function, dv is the dv-function, v is the integral of dv, and du is the derivative of u.

What are the common mistakes made when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes when using integration by parts include choosing the incorrect u-function, forgetting to integrate the v-function, and not using the correct formula u*dv = v*du. It is important to carefully choose the u-function and to follow the formula correctly in order to get the correct solution.