Integration by parts when a limit is infinity.

In summary: Now, for any y \in \mathbb{R} we may choose a \in \mathbb{N}^+ such that a > y. Then since a! is finite and \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ae^{-x} = a! we have that \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} = 0.
Shinjo
I'm having a tough time trying to do integration by parts with one of my limits being infinity. My Integral looks like:

[tex] \int_0^\infty x^z e^{-x} dx[/tex] with [tex] z = \frac{-1}{\pi}[/tex]

Now if I let [tex]u = e^{-x} [/tex] and [tex]dv = x^z dx[/tex],
I will have: [tex]du = -e^{-x} dx [/tex] and [tex] v = \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}
[/tex] and so
[tex] uv - \int_0^\infty v du
= e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} - \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} -e^{-x} dx[/tex]

However, since one of the limit is infinity, the term
[tex] uv = e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}[/tex] has a freakin infinity subbed in it. The answer is actually,
[tex] \frac{1}{z + 1} \int_0^\infty x^{z + 1} e^{-x} dx[/tex], which is what my integral part looks like. What am I doing wrong? Why do I get a term with infinity at the front?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} x^ze^{-x}[/tex]?

I think it is easier to look at the limit like this:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{\pi}}e^{x}}[/tex]

[tex]x^ze^{-x} = \frac{x^z}{e^x} \neq \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{z}}e^x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Shinjo said in his first post that [tex]z = -\frac{1}{\pi}[/tex]

oops!

Anyways the integral actually is just equal to [tex]\Gamma \left( \frac{\pi - 1}{\pi} \right)[/tex]

Shinjo said:
I'm having a tough time trying to do integration by parts with one of my limits being infinity. My Integral looks like:

[tex] \int_0^\infty x^z e^{-x} dx[/tex] with [tex] z = \frac{-1}{\pi}[/tex]

Now if I let [tex]u = e^{-x} [/tex] and [tex]dv = x^z dx[/tex],
I will have: [tex]du = -e^{-x} dx [/tex] and [tex] v = \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}
[/tex] and so
[tex] uv - \int_0^\infty v du
= e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} - \int_0^\infty \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1} -e^{-x} dx[/tex]

However, since one of the limit is infinity, the term
[tex] uv = e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}[/tex] has a freakin infinity subbed in it. The answer is actually,
[tex] \frac{1}{z + 1} \int_0^\infty x^{z + 1} e^{-x} dx[/tex], which is what my integral part looks like. What am I doing wrong? Why do I get a term with infinity at the front?

But the way to calculate the gamma function is to do that actual integral...

anywayz, do you see my problem though? when my [tex] v [/tex] becomes [tex]v = \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}, [/tex]my [tex]x^{z + 1}[/tex] term gets moved to the top and turns into infinity.

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} = 0 \ \forall y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Hmm...maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but I am not trying to solve the integral. I have to get it in a specific form so I can use Gaussian Quadrature. In order to do that I have to integrate by parts.

The answer is supposed to be: [tex] \frac{1}{z + 1} \int_0^\infty x^{z + 1} e^{-x} dx[/tex], but I don't know how to get rid of the [tex] uv = e^{-x} \frac{1}{z + 1} x^{z + 1}[/tex] term, since one of the limits is infinity.

Thank you for the help btw, it is much appreciated.

[tex] \left[e^{-x}\frac{1}{z+1}x^{z+1}\right]_0^\infty = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \left(\frac{e^{-x}x^{z+1}}{z+1}\right) - 0 = \frac{1}{z+1}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} e^{-x}x^{z+1}[/tex]

then just apply the result in my last post.

Data said:
[tex] \left[e^{-x}\frac{1}{z+1}x^{z+1}\right]_0^\infty = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \left(\frac{e^{-x}x^{z+1}}{z+1}\right) - 0 = \frac{1}{z+1}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} e^{-x}x^{z+1}[/tex]

then just apply the result in my last post.

Ahh...I see what you're saying. Thank you.

I don't mean to question your method, I know I might be becoming a nuisance by now, but can you tell me why [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} = 0 \ \forall y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]? I mean, doesn't [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^y = \infty[/tex]?

Shinjo said:
Ahh...I see what you're saying. Thank you.

I don't mean to question your method, I know I might be becoming a nuisance by now, but can you tell me why [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} = 0 \ \forall y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]? I mean, doesn't [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^y = \infty[/tex]?
That's not really relevant when you have a denominator that is also a function of x. For example, the trivial f(x) = x/x or g(x) = x/(x2 + 1), neither of which diverge as x increases without bound. Now refer to your problem f(x) = xz+1/ex. Note that both numerator and denominator diverge as x increases without bound, so we may apply L'Hospital's rule to examine the equivalent limit (z+1)!/ex which approaches zero as x increases without bound.

Last edited:
I think he meant [tex]x^z[/tex] This gives you [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{\pi}}e^{x}} = 0[/tex]

hypermorphism said:
That's not really relevant when you have a denominator that is also a function of x. For example, the trivial f(x) = x/x or g(x) = x/(x2 + 1), neither of which diverge as x increases without bound. Now refer to your problem f(x) = xz+1/ex. Note that both numerator and denominator diverge as x increases without bound, so we may apply L'Hospital's rule to examine the equivalent limit (z+1)!/ex.

Ah, Thank you. I just noticed, when the x is an exponent, it increases the term much faster than when x is a base. So I can see how x^y / e^x will = 0 for all y.

Thank you to all once again.

No nuisance. If I thought it were a nuisance to justify my math, I wouldn't be on a math forum! :)

Say [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Note that if [tex]y \leq 0[/tex] the result is obvious, so assume [tex] y > 0 [/tex]. Then let [tex]\lfloor a \rfloor[/tex] and [tex] \lceil a \rceil[/tex] represent the floor and ceiling functions applied to [tex]a[/tex] respectively. Thus if [tex] m = \lfloor y \rfloor, \ M = \lceil y \rceil[/tex] we clearly have [tex]x^me^{-x} \leq x^ye^{-x} \leq x^Me^{-x} \ \forall x \geq 1 \Longrightarrow \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}x^me^{-x} \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^Me^{-x}[/tex] (by a slightly generalized version of the squeeze theorem).

Now, let [tex]a \in \mathbb{N}^+[/tex]. By l'Hopital's rule, applied [tex] a[/tex] times, we have

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^ae^{-x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^a}{e^x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{ax^{a-1}}{e^x} = . \ . \ . = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a!}{e^x} = a! \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-x} = 0[/tex]

and since for [tex] y \ge 0[/tex] clearly [tex] M \geq m \geq 0, \ M, m \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] we get [tex] 0 = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^m e^{-x} \leq \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} x^ye^{-x} \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^M e^{-x} = 0 \Longrightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x^y e^{-x} = 0[/tex] as we wanted. QED.

Last edited:

1. What is integration by parts when a limit is infinity?

Integration by parts when a limit is infinity is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals where one of the limits of integration is infinity. It involves using the product rule of differentiation to rewrite the integral in terms of simpler functions.

2. When is integration by parts used when a limit is infinity?

Integration by parts when a limit is infinity is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which becomes simpler when differentiated. It is also useful when the integral involves a function that is difficult to integrate directly.

3. How is integration by parts when a limit is infinity calculated?

To calculate integration by parts when a limit is infinity, the following steps are usually followed:

• Identify the function u and the differential dv in the integral
  • Apply the product rule to rewrite the integral in terms of u and v
  • Integrate v to obtain an expression for u
  • Substitute the expressions for u and v back into the integral
  • Take the limit as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity
  • Simplify the resulting expression to obtain the final answer

4. What are some common mistakes made when using integration by parts when a limit is infinity?

Some common mistakes made when using integration by parts when a limit is infinity include:

• Incorrectly identifying the function u and the differential dv
  • Forgetting to take the limit as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity
  • Not simplifying the resulting expression correctly
  • Using integration by parts when it is not necessary

5. Can integration by parts when a limit is infinity be used for improper integrals?

Yes, integration by parts when a limit is infinity can be used for improper integrals. It is a useful technique for evaluating improper integrals that involve a product of functions or functions that are difficult to integrate directly.