Solving Integration by Parts for Relativistic Kinetic Energy

In summary, the author is struggling to integrate by parts and has gone from $$\frac{\textrm{d}T}{\textrm{d}t}=\frac{m}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)^3}}u\frac{\textrm{d}u}{\textrm{d}t}$$ to $$\frac{\textrm{d}T}{dt}=\frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}t}\left[\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)}}\right].$$
Robaj
Hi,
I've been following a derivation of relativistic kinetic energy. I've seen other ways to get the end result but I'm interested in finding out where I've gone wrong here: I'm struggling with integrating by parts.
The author goes from $$\frac{\textrm{d}T}{\textrm{d}t}=\frac{m}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)^3}}u\frac{\textrm{d}u}{\textrm{d}t}$$to$$\frac{\textrm{d}T}{dt}=\frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}t}\left[\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)}}\right].$$

Are they are using a chain rule like$$
\frac{\textrm{d}T}{\textrm{d}t}=\frac{\textrm{d}T}{\textrm{d}u}\frac{\textrm{d}u}{\textrm{d}t}?$$
If so then I need to find ##\frac{\textrm{d}T}{\textrm{d}u}.##

From the first equation I have$$\textrm{d}T = \frac{m}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)^3}}u\textrm{d}u.$$ If integrating by parts is $$\int A\frac{\textrm{d}B}{\textrm{d}u}\textrm{d}u = AB-\int\frac{\textrm{d}A}{\textrm{d}u}B\textrm{d}u$$ then I choose ##A = \sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)^3}## and ##\frac{\textrm{d}B}{\textrm{d}u}= u.## So ##B = u^2/2## and from the chain rule$$\frac{\textrm{d}A}{\textrm{d}u}=\frac{3u}{c^2\sqrt{\left(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}\right)^5}},$$ but this gets me right back to the start with an integral of the form $$\int u f(u) \textrm{d}u.$$ Choosing A and B' the other way round in the integration by parts doesn't give me an integral I can solve by inspection to find B.

Where have I gone wrong?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the chain rule: Take the second equation you have and differentiate it: It's rather straightforward. ## d [v^{-1/2}]=-(\frac{1}{2}) v^{-3/2} \, dv ##. In this case ## v=1-\frac{u^2}{c^2} ## so that ## dv=-\frac{2u}{c^2} \, du ##.

Charles Link said:
It's the chain rule: Take the second equation you have and differentiate it: It's rather straightforward. ## d [v^{-1/2}]=-(\frac{1}{2}) v^{-3/2} \, dv ##. In this case ## v=1-\frac{u^2}{c^2} ## so that ## dv=-\frac{2u}{c^2} \, du ##.

Thanks for your reply. I understand the differentiation and substitution you've used, but not how they help me get from the first equation to the second equation in the top post. Could you clarify? I may have misunderstood how to get from ## uf(u)\frac{du}{dt} ## to ## \frac{d f(u)}{dt}. ##

It's ## f'(u) \frac{du}{dt} =\frac{d f(u)}{dt} ##. Only it gets confusing, because the function is ## v=1-\frac{u^2}{c^2} ##. Let's change the equation to ## f(v) ##: ## f'(v) \frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d f(v)}{dt} ##. [Note: ## \frac{d f(v)}{dt}=(\frac{d f(v)}{dv})(\frac{dv}{dt})=f'(v) \, (\frac{dv}{dt}) ##]. ## \\ ## Then ## f(v)=v^{-1/2} ##, and ## f'(v)=-(\frac{1}{2}) v^{-3/2 } ##. Meanwhile ## \frac{dv}{dt}=-(\frac{2u}{c^2})( \frac{du}{dt}) ##. ## \\ ## And you go from the second equation in the top post to the first one. The order is reversed.

Last edited:
Likes Robaj
Thanks for your patience - I'm struggling to join the dots. I want to get from the first equation to the second but your substitution doesn't match the denominator of that first equation. Just to be clear, I'm looking at $$\begin{equation} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)^3}}u\frac{\textrm{d}u}{\textrm{d}t}\end{equation}$$ and hoping to end up at $$\begin{equation}\frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}t}\left[\frac{c^2}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)}}\right].\end{equation}$$

If ## f'(u)\frac{\textrm{d}u}{\textrm{d}t} = \frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}t}f(u) ##, how come I don't need to integrate to 'undo' the differentiation?

Differentiate equation (2). That's all that is necessary. ## \\ ## For this case, write it as ## f'(v)\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d f(v)}{dt } ##. Otherwise, the ## u ## makes it confusing.

Charles Link said:
Differentiate equation (2). That's all that is necessary. For this case, write it as ## f'(v)dv/dt=d(f(v))/dt ##. Otherwise, the ## u ## makes it confusing.
I see what you're saying. But surely the derivation goes in one direction only, so we should be able to go forward at each point based only on what we've derived previously. It doesn't make sense to me to go backwards!

Likes Charles Link
Robaj said:
I see what you're saying. But surely the derivation goes in one direction only, so we should be able to go forward at each point based only on what we've derived previously. It doesn't make sense to me to go backwards!
This one really works best by starting with the second equation. Someone very skilled in calculus, (like the author), goes easily from (1) to (2), but it takes practice to see how the two are quite equivalent. Going from (2) to (1) is much easier for someone who is relatively new to calculus.

Ah, I see. Understanding how the author got from (1) to (2) is really what I'm after! But I appreciate your help. Your second post has cleared up some confusion I had about differentials.

Likes Charles Link
Robaj said:
Thanks for your patience - I'm struggling to join the dots. I want to get from the first equation to the second but your substitution doesn't match the denominator of that first equation. Just to be clear, I'm looking at $$\begin{equation} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)^3}}u\frac{\textrm{d}u}{\textrm{d}t}\end{equation}$$ and hoping to end up at $$\begin{equation}\frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}t}\left[\frac{c^2}{\sqrt{(1-u^2/c^2)}}\right].\end{equation}$$

If ## f'(u)\frac{\textrm{d}u}{\textrm{d}t} = \frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}t}f(u) ##, how come I don't need to integrate to 'undo' the differentiation?

To take your last question. There's an integration technique called integration by guessing. That's effectively what the author has done here.

You guess something that looks like it might be the integral, differentiate it and then adjust it if it wasn't quite right.

You really need to accept that it's valid to work backwards in such cases. Physicists do this sort of thing a lot. So, you will waste a lot of time worrying. in this case, you should simply have differentiated the second expression and checked you got the first.

That said, what you need to do here is:

You have something of the form:

##\frac{dT}{dt} = f(u)\frac{du}{dt}##

Idea: try to express the right hand side as an exact derivative. So, let:

##\frac{dg(u)}{dt} = f(u)\frac{du}{dt}##

Now integrate wrt ##t## to give:

##g(u) = \int f(u) du##

To integrate the function ##f(u)## that you have here use substitution. Not parts.

Note that ##T## doesn't come into this whole calculation. It could be anything on the left hand side of the original equation.

Last edited:
Likes Robaj and Charles Link
PeroK said:
You really need to accept that it's valid to work backwards in such cases. Physicists do this sort of thing a lot. So, you will waste a lot of time worrying. in this case, you should simply have differentiated the second expression and checked you got the first.

Ah I understand. This is very interesting! Thanks for both explanations.

Likes Charles Link

1. How does integration by parts work for relativistic kinetic energy?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals that involve products of functions. For relativistic kinetic energy, this involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using a set of rules to solve for each part separately. These rules take into account the properties of relativistic kinetic energy, such as the Lorentz factor and the momentum of the particle.

2. Can integration by parts be used for all types of relativistic kinetic energy equations?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for any equation that involves relativistic kinetic energy. This includes equations with different forms of kinetic energy, such as translational kinetic energy, rotational kinetic energy, and vibrational kinetic energy.

3. Are there any limitations to using integration by parts for relativistic kinetic energy?

Integration by parts can only be used for integrals that are solvable using the technique. Some integrals may require more advanced methods or may not have a closed-form solution. It is important to check the resulting integral after using integration by parts to ensure it can be solved.

4. What are the benefits of using integration by parts for relativistic kinetic energy?

Integration by parts allows for a systematic and step-by-step approach to solving integrals involving relativistic kinetic energy. It also takes into account the unique properties of relativistic kinetic energy, making it a more accurate method compared to other integration techniques.

5. Is it necessary to use integration by parts for relativistic kinetic energy, or are there other methods available?

While integration by parts is a popular and effective method for solving integrals involving relativistic kinetic energy, there are other techniques available such as substitution and partial fractions. The choice of method may depend on the specific integral and personal preference.