Integration formula of cosecant

• I
  • Thread starter TGV320
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discussed the integration formula of cosecant, which can be written as either "= ln |csc x - cot x| + C" or "= - ln |csc x + cot x| + C". The difference in notation is due to the fact that both equations are correct, as shown through differentiation and simplification. The only difference is the positive or negative result when the absolute value is removed.
TGV320
TL;DR Summary
Small differences between formulas
Hi

I have a question about the integration formula of cosecant which leaves me puzzled.

I usually find it written as " = ln |csc x - cot x| + C" in most manuals, but sometimes it is written as "= - ln |csc x + cot x| + C" or "= - ln (csc x + cot x) + C".

Why is that? Can they all be used?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
TGV320 said:
TL;DR Summary: Small differences between formulas

Hi

I have a question about the integration formula of cosecant which leaves me puzzled.

I usually find it written as " = ln |csc x - cot x| + C" in most manuals, but sometimes it is written as "= - ln |csc x + cot x| + C" or "= - ln (csc x + cot x) + C".

Why is that? Can they all be used?

Thanks a lot
Have you tried differentiating each one to check that they are all anti-derivatives of ##cosec##? Sometimes functions that look different only differ by a constant. E.g:
$$\cos^2 x = 1 - \sin^2x$$Which means that:$$\frac d {dx} \cos^2 x = - \frac d {dx} sin^2 x$$Check that out if you want.

Likes TGV320 and Mark44
For both expressions for the antiderivative to be correct, we must have [tex]
\ln |\csc x - \cot x| + \ln |\csc x + \cot x| = \ln |\csc^2 x - \cot^2 x| = 0.[/tex] So can we show that [itex]|\csc^2 x - \cot^2 x| = 1[/itex]?

Likes TGV320
Hi

Since cscx^2-cotx^2=1,I think it is true then, both equations do work indeed.
I have also tried to differentiate the results, and it seems that the only thing that varies is what comes out of the absolute value, therefore conditioning the positive of negative of the result.

Thanks a lot, I am grateful for your help

1. What is the integration formula of cosecant?

The integration formula of cosecant is ∫csc(x) dx = ln|csc(x) + cot(x)| + C.

2. How is the integration formula of cosecant derived?

The integration formula of cosecant can be derived using the substitution method, where u = csc(x) and du = -csc(x)cot(x) dx. By substituting these values into the integral and simplifying, we get the final formula.

3. Can the integration formula of cosecant be used for all values of x?

No, the integration formula of cosecant is only valid for values of x where csc(x) + cot(x) is defined. This means that the formula is not applicable for values of x where csc(x) = 0, or where cot(x) is undefined.

4. Is there a simpler form of the integration formula of cosecant?

Yes, the integration formula of cosecant can also be written as ∫csc(x) dx = -ln|cot(x/2)| + C. This form is often used to simplify calculations.

5. Can the integration formula of cosecant be used to solve definite integrals?

Yes, the integration formula of cosecant can be used to solve definite integrals by substituting the upper and lower limits of integration into the formula and evaluating the resulting expression. However, it is important to note that the limits of integration must be within the valid range of the formula.