Integrals: Homework Help & Solutions

• Thread starter XtremePhysX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the first two integrals are cosine and sine functions, respectively, and the last two are their derivatives.
XtremePhysX

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integrals:

Homework Equations

(1)[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{cos(x)}{1+(x)^{2}}dx[/tex]
(2)[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
(3)[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\log\log\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\,dx[/tex]
(4)[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x\,dx}{e^x-1}[/tex]
(5)[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(x)\,dx}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the second one, so please help me with the rest:

(2) Let [tex]I = \int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-x^{2}}dx[/tex] then we have by the square of an integral:
[tex]I^{2}=\left ( \int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-x^{2}}dx \right )\left ( \int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-y^{2}}dy \right ) = \int_{0}^{\infty }\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-x^{2}-y^{2}}dydx[/tex]
Shifting to polar coordinates:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-r^{2}}rdrd\theta[/tex]
For the interior integral, we use the transformation:
[tex]u=r^{2}, \frac{du}{2}=rdr[/tex] to obtain:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-u}du = -\frac{1}{2}\left [ e^{-u} \right ]\infty to 0 = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
Plugging this into our integral, we're left with:
[tex]I^{2}=\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}d\theta = \frac{\pi }{4}[/tex]
By taking the square root of both sides, we have the answer:
[tex]I=\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-x^{2}}dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi }}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, I would selfishly resort to contour integration and write:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\cos(x)}{(x+i)(x-i)}dx=1/2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(x)}{(x+i)(x-i)}dx[/tex]

then consider the contour integral:

[tex]\oint \frac{e^{iz}}{(z+i)(z-i)}dz[/tex]

where the contour is the half-disc in the upper half plane, then just use the Residue Theorem but not sure you want to go this way.

how would u solve the counter integral, I've never done counter integration.

XtremePhysX said:
how would u solve the counter integral, I've never done counter integration.

If this is a homework exercise then perhaps you're not expected to know contour integration and need to find another way. I can't think of one at the moment though. Also, really not helpful to you I think for me to try and explain the contour integration if you've not had any Complex Analysis.

jackmell said:
If this is a homework exercise then perhaps you're not expected to know contour integration and need to find another way. I can't think of one at the moment though. Also, really not helpful to you I think for me to try and explain the contour integration if you've not had any Complex Analysis.

If counter integration is the better way, then can u show me how to do it that way? I'll learn it.

Hi XtremePhysX! :smile:

(1) looks excessively nasty

are you sure it isn't cos-1x on the top?

yes I'm sure :) it is cos(x)

The third one is one definition of the Euler Mascheroni constant so we would need to show:

[tex]\int_0^1 \log\left(\log(1/x)\right)dx=-\gamma[/tex]

but I can't think of a way to show this.

jackmell said:
The third one is one definition of the Euler Mascheroni constant so we would need to show:

[tex]\int_0^1 \log\left(\log(1/x)\right)dx=-\gamma[/tex]

but I can't think of a way to show this.

Use the derivative of the Gamma function and a the substitution u=log(1/x).

Can anyone help me with this integral please:
[tex]\int^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}_{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} \frac{1 - 2x^2}{x^5 - x^3}dx[/tex] using x=sin(u)

please, please.

[tex]\int_{\frac{\pi }{3}}^{\frac{\pi }{4}}\frac{1-2sin^{2}u}{sin^{5}u-sin^{3}u}cosudu[/tex]

I got up to here.

XtremePhysX said:
Can anyone help me with this integral please:
[tex]\int^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}_{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} \frac{1 - 2x^2}{x^5 - x^3}dx[/tex] using x=sin(u)

please, please.

Why use that substitution?

[tex]\frac{1-2x^2}{x^5-x^3}=-\frac{1}{x^3} \left (2+\frac{1}{x^2-1}\right)[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
Why use that substitution?

[tex]\frac{1-2x^2}{x^5-x^3}=-\frac{1}{x^3} \left (2+\frac{1}{x^2-1}\right)[/tex]

Where do you go from here?

Do you use a substitution to integrate [tex]-\frac{1}{x^3} \left (2+\frac{1}{x^2-1}\right)[/tex]

XtremePhysX said:
Where do you go from here?

[tex]\int \left( f(x) + g(x) \right) dx = \int f(x) dx + \int g(x) dx[/tex]

(As long as the integrals converge)

Like this:
[tex]-\frac{1}{x^3}\left ( \int2dx + \int \frac{1}{x^2-1}\right)dx[/tex]

XtremePhysX said:
Like this:
[tex]-\frac{1}{x^3}\left ( \int2dx + \int \frac{1}{x^2-1}\right)dx[/tex]

Is [itex]\frac{1}{x^3}[/itex] a constant? If not, how can you pull it out of the integral like that?

I don't know, then how do u apply that identity?

Just distribute to the terms in parentheses:[tex]-\frac{1}{x^3}\left(2 + \frac{1}{x^2 - 1}\right) = -\frac{2}{x^3} - \frac{1}{x^3(x^2 - 1)}[/tex]

Can you guys help me with the original integrals please? I kind of know how to do the first, second and third, please help me do the last two.

For the fourth, use the identity
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-nx}x^{s-1}dx=\frac{\Gamma(s)}{n^s}[/tex]
along with the monotone convergence theorem.
The fifth can be obtained by considering the complex valued integral
[tex]\int_{C}\frac{e^{iz}}{z}\,dz[/tex]
on a semicircular contour.

Millennial said:
For the fourth, use the identity
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-nx}x^{s-1}dx=\frac{\Gamma(s)}{n^s}[/tex]
along with the monotone convergence theorem.

Thank you mill :)

The fifth can also be done by looking at [itex]\frac{d}{da}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{iax}}{x}dx[/itex]

FAQ: Integrals: Homework Help & Solutions

What are integrals and why are they important?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the area under a curve. They are important in various fields of science, engineering, and economics as they allow us to find the total or accumulated value of a function over a given interval.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has fixed limits of integration, meaning the area under the curve is calculated within a specific interval. On the other hand, an indefinite integral has no limits of integration, and it is used to find the general solution of a function.

What are the different methods to solve integrals?

The most common methods to solve integrals are substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These methods follow specific rules and techniques to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

How do I know if my solution to an integral is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can differentiate it and see if the result matches the original function. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

Can I use software or calculators to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators available that can solve integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and methods behind solving integrals to use these tools effectively.