Integration including unit vectors

In summary: Actually, it should be -sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)\vec{j}. The relation you gave is for the unit vector in the radial direction (assuming θ is the angle measured counterclockwise from the x axis).
ForTheGreater
I have an integral of aΘ cos(Θ) dΘ

a is the unit vector for Θ.

I'm not sure what to do with it in the integration. I know the unit vector equals a/abs(a) but that would give a mess of an integral cause of the abs(a).

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you express the unit vector in terms of ##\theta##?

Let this be the derivative of (A(θ)aθ(θ)+B(θ)ar(θ)) with respect to θ. Solve for A and B.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Let this be the derivative of (A(θ)aθ(θ)+B(θ)ar(θ)) with respect to θ. Solve for A and B.

Chet

I don't get it.

jbunniii said:
Can you express the unit vector in terms of ##\theta##?

Yes i did. I can write it as Θ/abs(Θ)

ForTheGreater said:
I don't get it.
Take the derivative of the expression I gave with respect to θ, and set it equal to the function you are trying to integrate with respect to θ. Make use of the condition that the derivative of the unit vector in the θ direction with respect to θ is equal to minus the unit vector in the r direction, and the derivative of the unit vector in the r direction with respect to θ is equal to plus the unit vector in the θ direction. You should get two ordinary differential equations in the two unknowns A and B. Solve these equations for A and B.

Chet

ForTheGreater said:
I have an integral of aΘ cos(Θ) dΘ

a is the unit vector for Θ.

I'm not sure what to do with it in the integration. I know the unit vector equals a/abs(a) but that would give a mess of an integral cause of the abs(a).

You need to express [itex]\mathbf{a}_\theta[/itex] in cartesian components in order to integrate it:

[tex]
\mathbf{a}_\theta = \frac1r \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}\mathbf{e}_x +
\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\mathbf{e}_y + \frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\mathbf{e}_z
\right) = \dots?
[/tex]

pasmith said:
You need to express [itex]\mathbf{a}_\theta[/itex] in cartesian components in order to integrate it:

[tex]
\mathbf{a}_\theta = \frac1r \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}\mathbf{e}_x +
\frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta}\mathbf{e}_y + \frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\mathbf{e}_z
\right) = \dots?
[/tex]
I like the method you are suggesting here much better than the approach I suggested in post #6. It is much more straightforward.

Chet

Is this in three dimensions or two? If it is in three dimensions, what angle is [itex]\theta[/itex]? If it is in two dimensions, then the unit vector in direction [itex]\theta[/itex] can be written [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Is this in three dimensions or two? If it is in three dimensions, what angle is [itex]\theta[/itex]? If it is in two dimensions, then the unit vector in direction [itex]\theta[/itex] can be written [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex].
Actually, it should be [itex]-sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex]. The relation you gave is for the unit vector in the radial direction (assuming θ is the angle measured counterclockwise from the x axis).

Chet

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval. It is the reverse process of differentiation, and is often used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What are unit vectors?

Unit vectors are vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are used to represent directions or coordinate axes in mathematical calculations. They are often denoted by the letters i, j, and k in three-dimensional space, and their components can be found using trigonometric functions.

3. How are unit vectors used in integration?

Unit vectors are used in integration to represent the direction of a curve or the orientation of a surface. They can also be used to find the components of a vector that is being integrated, making the calculation easier and more accurate.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact value of an integral over a specific interval, while indefinite integration involves finding a general solution that includes a constant of integration. Definite integration is often used to find the area under a curve, while indefinite integration is used to solve differential equations.

5. What are some applications of integration in science?

Integration has many applications in science, including finding the velocity and acceleration of an object in physics, determining the probability of events in statistics, and calculating the electric field and potential in electromagnetism. It is also used in many engineering fields, such as structural analysis and fluid dynamics.