1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration Involving a Gaussian Function

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    This is a University quantum physics problem but I'm posting it in this section as what I'm having trouble with is the integration.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    Normalisation condition: [tex]\int ^{\infty}_{-\infty} \left| \psi(x)^2 \right| dx = 1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the integral that I'm having trouble with is
    [tex]\int ^{\infty}_{-\infty} \left| x^{2}e^{- \frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}} \right| dx[/tex]

I tried integration by parts but I really don't know how to handle the [tex]e^{- \frac{x^{2}}{2a^{2}}}[/tex] part. After some initial confusion I realise this is a Gaussian and the integral of it from minus infinity to infinity is [tex]a \sqrt{\pi}[/tex] which would be fine if it wasn't being multiplied by [tex]x^{2}[/tex].

So integration by parts, setting [tex]u = x^{2}[/tex] and [tex]dv = e^{- \frac{x^{2}}{2a^{2}}} dx[/tex] doesn't work as then I have to integrate dv without limits, which gives the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Erf.html" [Broken] which I only just heard of by putting this integral into Wolfram Alpha and don't know what to do with.

Putting [tex]u = e^{- \frac{x^{2}}{2a^{2}}}[/tex] is even worse as when I differentiate [tex]du = \frac{x}{a^{2}} e^{- \frac{x^{2}}{2a^{2}}} dx[/tex] which means I would have to do integration by parts on this new integral and I think you can see why that's not going to work.

Of course I can just get the answer but I want to know how to solve this problem myself. Do I have to work with the error function or is there a way of getting around it by an application of the limits (or some other trick) that I'm not seeing?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    Try integration by parts with

[tex]u = x[/tex]

and

[tex]dv = x \exp(- \frac{x^2}{2a^2}}) \, dx[/tex]

4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    How to calculate integrals in the form [tex] I(n)=\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{-ax^2}dx [/tex]

This first part is to demonstrate to reach the method, but you won't have to reproduce it, just the result.

Starting with [tex] I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{\alpha^2}d\alpha [/tex] you can see that
    [tex]I^2=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{x^2}dx\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{y^2}dy[/tex], because x is a mute variable.

So you get [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy[/tex]

Changing to polar coordinates one gets [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}e^-r^2}drd\theta = \sqrt{\pi}[/tex].

If that is true, then [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^-u^2}du = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex] also holds.

Now, if we have something like [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-ax^2}dx [/tex] we can change the variables to [tex]z^2=-ax^2, dz=\sqrt{a}dx, dx=\frac{dz}{\sqrt{a}} [/tex] and then calculate the integral in the form
    [tex] \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-z^2}\frac{dz}{\sqrt{a}}=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\frac{1}{2} [/tex] wich in the form [itex]I(n)[/itex] is [itex]I(0)[/itex].

We need to calculate one more integral in order to have the complete set.

[tex]I(1)=\int_{0}^{\infty}xe^{-ax^2}, z^2=ax^2[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{z}{\sqrt{a}}e^{z^2}\frac{dz}{\sqrt{a}}=\frac{1}{a}\int_{0}^{\infty}ze^{-z^2} = \frac{1}{2a} [/tex]

So, in order to calculate any integral [itex]I(n)[/itex] all you have to is calculate
    [tex]-\frac{d}{da}I(n-2)[/tex] because [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}-\frac{d}{da}x^{n-2}e^{-ax^2}=\int_{0}^{\infty}-(-x^2)x^{n-2}e^{-ax^2}dx[/tex].

It's obvious now that both integrals are the same because [tex]x^2x^{n-2}=x^n[/tex].

So to recap all that was done here, [tex]I(n)=-\frac{d}{da}I(n-2), I(0)=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\frac{1}{2}, I(1)=\frac{1}{2a}[/tex] and this is all you need to solve any integral in [itex]I(n)[/itex] form.

If I wasn't clear in any of the steps just say so, I hope this helps anyone with this sort of problem.

5. Feb 9, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

One way to do it is to note that when the gaussian has a mean of zero, E(x2) is equal to the variance:

[tex]\sigma^2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma^2}}dx[/tex]

Comparing this integral to yours, you can identify [itex]a^2[/itex] with [itex]2\sigma^2[/itex] so that [itex]\sigma=a/\sqrt{2}[/itex]; therefore,

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}dx = \sqrt{2\pi}(a/\sqrt{2})^3 = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}a^3}{2}[/tex]

Another way to do it is to use this trick:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-\alpha{x^2}} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( -\frac{d}{d\alpha}\right) e^{-\alpha{x^2}} dx=-\frac{d}{d\alpha} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha{x^2}} dx=-\frac{d}{d\alpha}\left(\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\alpha}\right)= \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\alpha^3}[/tex]

Setting [itex]\alpha=1/a^2[/itex] gives

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}a^3}{2}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook