Integration Notation Homework Answers

In summary, the problem with the first question is that the picture is not correct and all the choices are false.
Clef

Homework Statement

ibntergrate.jpg

or http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/lilblonderoxy/ibntergrate.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, i looked at the graphs and which one was above the other one. in the first intersection, g(x) is above f(x) so i assumed the first area solution would be [tex]\int[/tex]g(x) - f(x) dx + [tex]\int[/tex] f(x) - g(x)
So i guessed option B. However i do not think that this reasoning is correct, as the boundaries for the integration of the second part is not e-c but c-e :S

the second question i also selected B, on the the basis that the reverse area is being worked out would require a negative sign in front of the g(x). Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, [itex]\int (g(x)-f(x))dx+ \int (f(x)+ g(x))dx[/itex] is good for the two parts. Now, what are the two parts? g(x)>f(x) between what two values of x? f(x)> g(x) between what two values of x? You also need to be careful about the direction. Remember that [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx= -\int_b^a f(x)dx[/itex]. "B" is NOT correct for the first but is correct for the second question.

The problem is badly drawn. >"< For the first problem, all choices are false for me.

It seems like a is placed on the Oy axis, while the rest, b, c, d, and e lie on Ox axis.

If the picture is correct, then all the a's in the options, should be better replaced by 0.

Then the first anser would be E, as it within the boundaries, but negative because the lowest point is being taken as the highest when integrating? Is that correct, if you can understand my reasoning:S

I could be wrong but speaking when you have f(x) and g(x) the order is generally the function on top minus the function on the bottom. The reasoning behind this is that the top function has the area of everything below it and then bottom function has the area under its curve. So to only get the area in between the curves you have to cancel out the fact that the top function has the area of everything, so you subtract the bottom function's area.

Or the integral is f(x)-g(x) if f(x) is the function on top and g(x) is the function on the bottom.

So your assumption for the first question is wrong.

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
The problem is badly drawn. >"< For the first problem, all choices are false for me.

It seems like a is placed on the Oy axis, while the rest, b, c, d, and e lie on Ox axis.

If the picture is correct, then all the a's in the options, should be better replaced by 0.

I agree if the functions were being integrated with respect to y it would make more sense for a to c.

Then if you look the two graphs go beyond e which would leave to believe that there should be an f at the final intersection and if placed like the a then it to could be integrate with respect to y.

Like stated above the problem can't be right by the picture.

FAQ: Integration Notation Homework Answers

1. What is integration notation?

Integration notation is a mathematical representation used to denote the process of finding the integral of a function. It involves using a specific notation, such as the symbol ∫, to indicate integration and includes the function to be integrated and the variables or limits of integration.

2. How do I solve integration notation problems?

To solve integration notation problems, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to follow the rules of integration and use the correct notation to ensure accurate solutions.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when working with integration notation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with integration notation include forgetting to include the constant of integration, mixing up the limits of integration, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the rules of integration to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can I use integration notation to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration notation can be used to solve real-world problems, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the area under a curve, which has practical applications in measuring quantities such as displacement, velocity, and profit.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with integration notation homework?

Yes, there are many online resources, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and step-by-step guides, that can help you with integration notation homework. You can also consult your textbook, classmates, or teacher for additional support and clarification.