Integration problem (partial fractions)

In summary, Dick suggested that I use a change of variables to convert my function to a ratio of polynomials before I do the partial fractions. This allowed me to simplify my work considerably. I then integrated the partial fractions to find the correct answer. However, I still have one problem. I am unsure how to integrate the -6/u. I am thinking that I should integrate ln(e^x+2)+5ln(e^x+3) but I am not sure how to do this.
lha08

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral: integral (-17e^x-36)/(e^(2x)+5e^x+6 dx

Homework Equations

partial fractions

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, what i did was factored the bottom into (e^x+2) and (e^x+3) because when i expand that, it equals the bottom. From there, i set A/(e^x+2) + B/(e^x+3) and found that A is -15 and B=-2. As a result, the final answer i got was -15lnabs(e^x+3)-2lnabs(e^x+2)...However it's wrong. Apparently the answer is supposed to be -6x+log(2+e^x)+5log(3+e^x). Help Please!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by doing a change of variables to convert your function to a ratio of polynomials before you do the partial fractions. Like u=e^x. You could also continue with your correct decomposition, but the integral of 1/(e^2+2) is NOT log(e^2+2). You need to do the another u substitution to work that out.

Dick said:
You should start by doing a change of variables to convert your function to a ratio of polynomials before you do the partial fractions. Like u=e^x. You could also continue with your correct decomposition, but the integral of 1/(e^2+2) is NOT log(e^2+2). You need to do the another u substitution to work that out.

When you say change of variables to convert the function to a ratio of polynomials, do you mean that i have to replace all the e^x into a u using u-sub? I'n not that clear on that bit. Also, isn't the integral of 1/(e^2+2) going to involve an arctan since I'm replacing the e^2?

Yes. replace every "e^x" with u and, since if u= e^x, du= e^x dx= udx so dx= du/u, replace dx by du/u.

Sorry, I meant 1/(e^x+2) NOT 1/(e^2+2). But yes, e^x=u and e^(2x)=u^2. du=e^x*dx.

lha08 said:
When you say change of variables to convert the function to a ratio of polynomials, do you mean that i have to replace all the e^x into a u using u-sub? I'n not that clear on that bit. Also, isn't the integral of 1/(e^2+2) going to involve an arctan since I'm replacing the e^2?

Sorry, I meant 1/(e^x+2) NOT 1/(e^2+2). But yes, e^x=u and e^(2x)=u^2. du=e^x*dx.

Dick said:

okay so when i replaced the e^x i got.. (-17u-36)/(u^2+5u+6) du/u...and then i integrated (-17u-36)/(u^2+5u+6) using partial fractions and found that A=-2 and B=-15, which gives me -2/(u+2) -15/(u+3) du/u but then when i integrate this, i got (-2lnabs(e^x+2)-15ln(e^x+3)) / e^x which doesn't necessarily compare to the answer that it's suppose to be: -6x+ln(2+e^x)+5ln(3+e^x)

Your denominator is now (u^2+5u+6)*u=(u+2)(u+3)*u. Your partial fraction expansion is now
A/(u+2)+B/(u+3)+C/u. The C/u part is where your -6x is going to come from. You can't just not integrate the du/u.

Dick said:
Your denominator is now (u^2+5u+6)*u=(u+2)(u+3)*u. Your partial fraction expansion is now
A/(u+2)+B/(u+3)+C/u. The C/u part is where your -6x is going to come from. You can't just not integrate the du/u.

I'm almost there! but there's still one tiny problem left... i did what you suggested and i did find the correct values for A, B, and C which are 1,5 and -6 but when i replace these values, i got 1/(u+2) +5/(u+3) -6/u. I know how to integrate the first two parts ln(e^x+2)+5ln(e^x+3) but I'm not sure about the -6/u. What I'm thinking is -6ln(u) which is equal to -6ln(e^x). In this case i know that ln(e) is 1 but how does the x come down (suppose to get -6x)?

ln(a^b)=b*ln(a).

Thanks a lot to everyone who was patient enough to help me especially Dick and HallsofIvy!

1. What is the purpose of using partial fractions in integration?

Partial fractions are used to break down a complex rational function into simpler, more manageable fractions. This allows us to integrate the function more easily, as the integrals of simple fractions are well known.

2. How do you determine the correct form for partial fractions?

The form of the partial fractions depends on the degree and the roots of the denominator. If the denominator is a polynomial of degree n with distinct roots, the partial fractions will have n terms, each with a linear factor in the denominator. If the denominator has repeated roots, the partial fractions will have terms with higher powers in the denominator.

3. Can you provide an example of solving an integration problem using partial fractions?

Sure, let's say we have the rational function f(x) = (x+1)/(x^2 - x - 2). To find the partial fractions, we first factor the denominator as (x-2)(x+1). This gives us the form f(x) = A/(x-2) + B/(x+1), where A and B are constants. We can then solve for A and B by equating the coefficients of the terms on the right side with those on the left side. Once we have the partial fractions, we can integrate each term separately to find the final solution.

4. What if the denominator has complex roots?

If the denominator has complex roots, we use the method of undetermined coefficients to find the partial fractions. This involves writing the complex roots in the form a+bi and using them to form complex conjugate pairs in the partial fractions. The rest of the process remains the same as with real roots.

5. Are there any special cases where partial fractions cannot be used?

Yes, there are a few special cases where partial fractions cannot be used, such as when the denominator has a factor that cannot be factored further, or when the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator. In these cases, alternate methods of integration must be used.