Integrate (e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(1/2) w.r.t t - Step by Step Guide

In summary, the general formula for integrating a function f(x) w.r.t x is ∫f(x)dx. To integrate √(e^2t+e^-2t+2) w.r.t t, the steps are to rewrite the expression, use the power rule, integrate each term separately, and simplify the result. Special cases to consider include negative, positive, and zero exponents. An example of integration is provided. Other methods such as substitution and trigonometric substitution can also be used.
akoska
For part of a problem, how would I integrate:

(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(1/2) with respect to t

I have no idea..., but I've tried integration by parts to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
can you transform e^2t+e^-2t+2 into a perfect square?

Ok, i see now. Thanks.

I have another problem now... I found the solution to be a=exp(t)-exp(-t) and I need to find the inverse of a. Taking the ln of each side didn't help at all.

Last edited:
multiply by exp(t) and bam you got a quadratic!

1. What is the general formula for integrating √(e^2t+e^-2t+2) w.r.t t?

The general formula for integrating a function f(x) w.r.t x is ∫f(x)dx. In this case, the function is √(e^2t+e^-2t+2), so the integral is ∫√(e^2t+e^-2t+2)dt.

2. What are the steps for integrating √(e^2t+e^-2t+2) w.r.t t?

The steps for integrating this function are as follows:1. Rewrite the expression as √(e^2t+e^-2t+2) = (e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(1/2).2. Use the power rule to bring the exponent down: (e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(1/2) = (1/2)(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(-1/2)(2e^2+2e^-2).3. Integrate each term separately using basic integration rules.4. Simplify the result by combining like terms and factoring out constants.

3. Are there any special cases to consider when integrating √(e^2t+e^-2t+2) w.r.t t?

Yes, if the exponent of e^t is negative, the integral will involve inverse trigonometric functions. Also, if the exponent of e^t is positive, the integral will involve logarithmic functions. Additionally, if the exponent of e^t is 0, the integral will be a simple constant term.

4. Can you provide an example of integrating √(e^2t+e^-2t+2) w.r.t t?

As an example, let's integrate √(e^2t+e^-2t+2) w.r.t t:∫√(e^2t+e^-2t+2)dt = ∫(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(1/2)dt= (1/2)∫(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(-1/2)(2e^2+2e^-2)dt= (1/2)(2e^2+2e^-2)∫(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(-1/2)dt= (e^2+e^-2)∫(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(-1/2)dt= (e^2+e^-2)(-2(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(-1/2)) + C= -(e^2+e^-2)(e^2t+e^-2t+2)^(-1/2) + C.

5. Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using substitution or trigonometric substitution. However, the method of integration by parts is not suitable for this integral as the function is not a product of two separate functions.