Integration question using Fubini's Theorem

In summary, the problem involves finding the double integral of e^x^2 over a region defined by Fubini's Theorem. The region is a triangle with boundaries y=0, y=1, and y=x. The goal is to integrate from y to 1 for each fixed value of y between 0 and 1.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

1 1
∫ ∫ e^x^2 dx dy
0 y

Homework Equations

Fubini's Theorem:
b g2(x) d h2(y)
∫∫ f(x,y) dA = ∫ ∫ f(x,y) dy dx = ∫ ∫ f(x,y) dx dy
a g1(x) c h1(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone, it's not the integration that's causing me the problem here, it's the changing of the limits. I think my problem is that I can't visualise what it is I'm integrating. I'm not asking you to do the changing of limits for me, but could anyone please give me a clue as to what the shape looks like? I'm confused as to how the y can be variable (as in, how can you integrate from y to 1? What does it mean?).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For each fixed value of y between 0 and 1, you are integrating dx from y to 1. Does saying it in words help? So one of the boundaries of the region is the line y=x. The region of integration is a triangle.

1. What is Fubini's Theorem?

Fubini's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows for the integration of a function in multiple dimensions by breaking it down into simpler integrals. It states that if a function is integrable over a rectangle in the xy-plane, then the double integral of the function over the rectangle is equal to the iterated integrals of the function with respect to each variable.

2. How is Fubini's Theorem used in integration?

Fubini's Theorem is used in integration to simplify the process of integrating functions in multiple dimensions. It allows for the integration to be broken down into simpler integrals, making it easier to solve.

3. What are the conditions for using Fubini's Theorem?

The conditions for using Fubini's Theorem are that the function must be continuous over the rectangle of integration, and the integral must exist for each variable separately. In other words, the function must be integrable over the rectangle.

4. Can Fubini's Theorem be used for other shapes besides rectangles?

Yes, Fubini's Theorem can be extended to other shapes besides rectangles, such as triangles, circles, and more complex shapes. However, the function must still satisfy the conditions for using the theorem.

5. What is the difference between Fubini's Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used to find the definite integral of a function, while Fubini's Theorem is used for the integration of functions in multiple dimensions. They are both important concepts in calculus, but they serve different purposes and have different conditions for their use.