Integration-summation inequality problem ( IIT-JAM-2009-Pb18b )

• Thread starter symmetric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem in IIT-JAM-2009-Pb18b is a mathematical problem that tests a candidate's understanding of the relationship between integrals and summations within a specific interval. It is commonly presented as a multiple-choice question in IIT-JAM exams, and it tests a candidate's knowledge of integration, summation, and inequality concepts as well as basic algebra and calculus principles. To approach the problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the question and use properties and formulas to simplify the problem. Practicing similar problems can also improve speed and accuracy.
symmetric

Homework Statement

[tex] Let\; S = \sqrt(1) + \sqrt(2) + \sqrt(3) + ... + \sqrt(10000) \;and\; I = \int_{0}^{10000} \sqrt x dx[/itex]

Show that [itex]I \leq S \leq I+100[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] Consider\; I\;=\;\int_{0}^{10000} \sqrt x dx[/tex]

[tex] I\;=\; \frac{(10000)^{3/2}}{(3/2)}[/tex]

[tex] I\;=\;\frac{2(100)^3}{3}... (1)[/tex]

Now, we can write 'S' as follows -

[tex]S = \sqrt(1) + \sqrt(2) + \sqrt(3) + ... + \sqrt(10000)[/tex]

[tex]S = \sum_{n=1}^{10000} \sqrt n[/tex]

Above expression can be written as

[tex]S \geq 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + ... + 100 [/tex]

OR

[tex]S \geq \left ( \begin \sum_{n=1}^{99} n (2n + 1) \right ) + 100[/tex]

[tex]S \geq \frac{99\cdot100}{2} \left [ \frac{2\cdot 99 \cdot 100}{2} + 99 \right ] + 100[/tex]

[tex]S \geq \left ( 99\cdot 99 \cdot 101 \cdot 50 \right ) + 100 ......(2)[/tex]

Comparing (1) and (2) we can say that [itex] I \leq S [/itex]

I am not able to prove second part of inequality. My approach is as follows -

From calculations done previously we can write -

[tex] S \leq \left ( \begin \sum_{n=1}^{99} (n + 1)(2n + 1) \right ) [/tex]

[tex] S \leq \left [ \frac{99\cdot100}{2} + 99 \right ]\left [ \frac{2 \cdot 99 \cdot 100 }{2} + 99 \right ] [/tex]

[tex]S \leq \left ( 99 \cdot 99 \cdot 101 \cdot 51\right )[/tex]

[tex] To \; prove \; S \leq I + 100 [/tex]

we will have to prove that

[tex] \frac{2(100)^3}{3} + 100 \geq 99 \cdot 99 \cdot 101 \cdot 51 [/tex]

which is impossible.

Am I going wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your approach is mostly correct, but you have made a small mistake in your final step. Instead of comparing the expressions for S and I, you need to compare the expressions for S and I+100. This is because the given forum post is asking you to prove that S lies between I and I+100, not just between I and 100.

So, the correct final step would be:

S ≤ \left ( 99 \cdot 99 \cdot 101 \cdot 51\right ) ≤ I + 100

This shows that S lies between I and I+100, proving the desired inequality.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to Integration-summation inequality problem ( IIT-JAM-2009-Pb18b )

1. What is the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem in IIT-JAM-2009-Pb18b?

The Integration-Summation Inequality Problem in IIT-JAM-2009-Pb18b is a mathematical problem that involves finding the relationship between the integral and summation of a given function within a specific interval. The problem is often used in competitive exams like IIT-JAM to test a candidate's understanding of integration and summation concepts.

2. How is the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem typically presented in IIT-JAM exams?

In IIT-JAM exams, the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem is usually presented as a multiple-choice question, where candidates are given a function, an interval, and a set of options to choose from. They are required to find the correct relationship between the given integral and summation.

3. What are the key concepts tested by the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem?

The Integration-Summation Inequality Problem tests a candidate's understanding of integration, summation, and inequality concepts. It also requires knowledge of basic algebra and calculus principles.

4. How can I approach the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem in IIT-JAM?

To approach the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem, it is essential to carefully read and understand the question. Then, try to rewrite the given function in terms of summation and integral to find a relationship between them. It is also helpful to use properties of inequalities and integration/summation formulas to simplify the problem.

5. Are there any tips or tricks to solve the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem quickly?

The key to solving the Integration-Summation Inequality Problem quickly is to have a strong understanding of integration and summation concepts. It is also helpful to practice solving similar problems to improve speed and accuracy. Additionally, using properties and formulas can help simplify the problem and save time.