1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Techniques - Trigonometric Function Substitutions - cis(x)

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering, just out of curiosity, what family of integrands can be evaluated by making a cis(x) substitution, cis(x)=cos(x)+isin(x), I can't seem to find any examples or anything at all and was wondering if someone could provide an example or inform of how to make such substitutions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

There isn't really a protypical situation to use [tex] u = \cos x + i \sin x [/tex] like there are for other substitution, eg trying [itex] t=\tan x [/itex] if one sees [tex] \sqrt{1+t^2} [/tex] in the integrand. Thing will become for clear when you learn that this mysterious function cis(x) is actually just [tex] e^{ix} [/tex] and all the rules you've learned about exponentials before will apply again.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    Ya I understand and am familiar with the function. The only problem is that I can't think of a situation period in which I could make such a substitution, nor can I find any examples of when I could do so.

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    Actually, I remember reading something relevant to this in J. Nearing's Mathematical Tools for Physics. Consider:

[tex]\int cos(ax)e^{bx}dx + i \int sin(ax)e^{bx}dx[/tex]

Then by adding integrands:

[tex]\int e^{bx}[cos(ax) + i \, sin(ax)]dx[/tex]

Here we make the substitution [itex]cos(ax) + i \, sin(ax) = cis(ax) = e^{i(ax)}[/itex]

[tex]\int e^{bx} e^{iax} dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int e^{(b + ia)x} dx[/tex]

Now the integral is extremely easy. After evaluation, one can consider the real and imaginary parts to obtain [itex]\int cos(ax)e^{bx}dx[/itex] and [itex]\int sin(ax)e^{bx}dx[/itex] without integrating by parts even once!

Try finding that in a Biology textbook.

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5
    Hmm... Very interesting. Thanks. That's a great integration technique.

7. Aug 21, 2011 #6
    Don't spread it around too much :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook