Integration With Completing the Square

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-4x-x^2}}dx by completing the square and applying the arcsin formula. However, there is confusion on how to solve for the variables in the formula and an alternative method of integration by substitution is suggested.
Bashyboy
The problem is: [itex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-4x-x^2}}dx[/itex]

I took the expression under the radical and I completed the square, yielding: [itex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{5-(x+2)^2}}dx[/itex]

Then I figured that I could apply the arcsin formula, where [itex]a^2=5[/itex] and[itex]u^2=(x+2)^2[/itex]

But by solving for "a" and "u," I would be left with two roots, wouldn't I?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly would you solve for a and u?

Forget about the "formula". If you're unsure, do some integration by substitution and try to get to something familiar.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{5-(x+2)^2}}dx=\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(x+2)^2}{5}}}dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{x+2}{\sqrt{5}}\right)^2}}dx[/tex]
What should you do next? The integrand is essentially [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex], you just need the right substitution.

Thank you, Christoff, that was rather clever.

1. What is the purpose of completing the square in integration?

The purpose of completing the square in integration is to simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate. This technique involves rewriting a quadratic expression in the form of a perfect square, which can then be integrated using standard integration rules.

2. How do you complete the square in integration?

To complete the square in integration, follow these steps:1. Rewrite the quadratic expression in standard form, with the squared term first.2. Take half of the coefficient of the middle term and square it.3. Add this value inside the parentheses and balance the equation by subtracting it outside the parentheses.4. Rewrite the expression as a perfect square and integrate using standard rules.

3. Can completing the square be used for all types of integrals?

No, completing the square is only applicable for integrals that involve quadratic expressions. It is not necessary for linear or higher order polynomials.

4. What are the advantages of using completing the square in integration?

The advantages of using completing the square in integration include:- Simplifies the integrand and makes it easier to integrate.- Can be used to solve more complex integrals involving quadratic expressions.- Allows for the use of standard integration rules, making the integration process faster and more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using completing the square in integration?

One limitation of completing the square in integration is that it can only be used for integrals involving quadratic expressions. It also requires some algebraic manipulation skills, which may be challenging for some individuals. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving integrals depending on the specific problem at hand.