1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration with fraction and square root

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    i am given this function and need to integrate it

[tex]\frac{4x+7}{\sqrt{-4x^2+20x-9}}[/tex]

i have been trying to intergrate it by calling something T, preferably the expression under the sqrd root, or part thereof (-4x2+20x=T) but i cant find the way to do this, cant find the best expression that fits both the denominator and numerator of the fraction.. any other ideas??

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try u = -4x^2 + 20x - 9, and du = (-8x + 20)dx (I like u for substitutions better than T.)

Your numerator is 4x + 7 = 4x -10 + 17, so your integral can be rewritten as two integrals.

[tex]\int \frac{4x - 10}{\sqrt{-4x^2 + 20x - 9}}dx + \int \frac{17}{\sqrt{-4x^2 + 20x - 9}}dx[/tex]

Applying the substitution in the first integral, we have [itex]-1/2\int du/u^{1/2}[/itex]. The second one is probably amenable to a trig substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?