1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration with trig substitution

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is the integral attached

2. Relevant equations
    sec2(u)=(1+tan2(x))
    a2+b2=c2
    ∫cos(u)=-sin(u)+C

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution is attached. I am wondering if someone could give me a hint where I went drastically wrong or where I possibly dropped a negative. Hopefully what will come of this is the latter.

Thank you in advance,

Ethan

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2
    The one idea I have, by the way, is when I simplify the √sec2(x), it could become -sec(x). This is my only idea.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, if sec(x) < 0, then ##\ \sqrt{\sec^2(x)\,}=-\sec (x)\ .##

5. Mar 7, 2016 #4
    how do I know sec(x)< 0? The only information given is the integral at the beginning and that a>0.

6. Mar 7, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I see two mistakes.
    1. ##\int cos u du = sin u##, not -sin u
    2. ##sec u = \frac {\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}{a}##. You don't have that written down, and I suspect that you lost a factor of a in your simplification.
    No, that would be plain old sec(x).

7. Mar 7, 2016 #6

Mark44

If ##0 \le u < \pi/2##, sec(u) will be positive. This is a reasonable assumption in your trig substitution.

8. Mar 7, 2016 #7
    Thank you,

My only follow up question is why is this significant?

I am not at sin(u)/a. I know by the trig circle that the opposite side is equal to x, the adjacent side is a, and the hypotenuse is √(x2+a2 ). This means sin(u)=x/√(x2+a2 ). I don't know where the sec(u) back substitution came from.

Thank You,

Ethan

9. Mar 8, 2016 #8

Mark44

I always draw a triangle when I do trig substitution -- I don't clutter up my brain with memorized forumulas that I might forget. In my triangle u is the acute angle I'm interested in. The adjacent side is a, the opposite side is x, the hypotenuse is ##\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}##. From this triangle I get ##tan u = \frac x a## and my expression for sec(u).

10. Mar 8, 2016 #9
    I guess my main question is why are you dealing with sec(u) when the question ends up with sin(u)/a2. Shouldn't I be drawing a trig ciricle for sin(u) and not sec(u)?

11. Mar 8, 2016 #10

Mark44

The sec(u) factor comes in because of the ##(a^2 + x^2)^{3/2}## in the denominator. In the triangle I described, ##\tan u = \frac x a## and ##\sec u = \frac{\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}{a}##. I hope that's clear.

You use the triangle (not a trig "ciricle") to undo the substitution ##\tan u = \frac x a##. From the triangle you can figure out all of the trig relationships, including ##\sin u##.

12. Mar 8, 2016 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I would suggest omitting some of the unnecessary algebraic manipulations, like what you did with the denominator before doing the trig substitution.
    $$(a^2+x^2)^{3/2} = (\sqrt{a^2+x^2})^3 = (\sqrt{a^2+a^2\tan^2 u})^3 = (a\sec u)^3$$ Fewer steps, easier to read for the grader, less chance of making a dumb algebra mistake, etc. Also, after you change variables to ##u##, the limits are no longer ##0## and ##a##. If you had changed the limits to ##u=0## to ##u=\pi/4##, you probably would have realized that ##\sec u > 0## and that your error lay elsewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted