What is the relationship between intensity and amplitude in waves?

In summary, the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude, as seen in the equation Power = (voltage)^2/R. When replacing a wave source with multiple identical copies, the collective amplitude can increase by a factor of 25 if the sources are in phase, but only by a factor of 4 if the sources are not perfectly aligned.
Gauss M.D.
This is something I don't relly get. I keep reading that the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

So let's suppose we have a random wave source, with amplitude A0. If we replace that source with five identical copies of it, their collective amplitude is 5A, yes? But have I really raised the energy level at the source by a factor of 25? What am I missing here?

(X-posting since I think the subforum I posted in was not appropriate)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets look at an electrical example. Power = (voltage)^2/R. In general power is equivalent to intensity while voltage is equivalent of amplitude. If you double the voltage, the power goes up by four. If voltage goes up by 5, power goes up by 25.

i'll use the electrical example slightly differently …

the energy (or power) is proportional to VI (voltage times current) …

how are you going to double the current without doubling the voltage? :wink:

Gauss M.D. said:
This is something I don't relly get. I keep reading that the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

So let's suppose we have a random wave source, with amplitude A0. If we replace that source with five identical copies of it, their collective amplitude is 5A, yes? But have I really raised the energy level at the source by a factor of 25? What am I missing here?

(X-posting since I think the subforum I posted in was not appropriate)

If they are really copies of each other, the amplitudes will add and the intensity is indeed 25x.

But they must be in phase with each other.

Gauss M.D. said:
I keep reading that the intensity of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

Consider two sources like sin(t). (Sound waves, say, except that I'll ignore attenuation with distance.) Suppose they are not co-located, so in places they will interfere constructively and in other places destructively. In general, they may be received as sin(t+α) and sin(t-α). That adds to 2 sin(t)cos(α). Squaring and integrating 0 to 2π gives 4π cos2(α). If we suppose all phase differences (α values) occur equally across a region, we can integrate wrt α and obtain an average value of 2π. A single sin(t) source gives π, so the power from two sources is double, as expected.
If the sources are exactly co-located then indeed you will get four times the power everywhere, but in this case the source is working four times as hard.

1. What is the difference between intensity and amplitude?

Intensity refers to the amount of energy that passes through a unit area per unit time, while amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its rest position.

2. How are intensity and amplitude related?

The intensity of a wave is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the intensity also increases.

3. How is intensity measured?

Intensity is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²), which is a measure of power per unit area.

4. Can intensity and amplitude be used interchangeably?

No, intensity and amplitude are not interchangeable terms. They refer to different characteristics of a wave and have different units of measurement.

5. How does the intensity of a wave change with distance?

The intensity of a wave decreases as it travels further from its source. This is due to the spreading out of the energy over a larger area as the wave travels.